Which is better - Legal Studies or Modern History? (1 Viewer)

frontin

HSC
Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering from seniors who have done/doing these subjects which would be more interesting and preferable. I know it depends on what you'll enjoy and like but both of them I don't mind and when I looked through the syllabus I equally found them quite fascinating so I wouldn't know which one I'd enjoy or like until I actually did the subject.

My career prospects are along the lines of Media/Com, Psychology or Business in that order. Also my other subject selections are Ext English, Ext Maths, Music 2 and Economics so which one would probably suit better with this combination.

Thanks I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Last edited:

frontin

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I would flip a coin if I were you. I like both subjects, and would have done anything to get into modern history if it wasn't on the extension lines at my school.
LOL I've tried that but then I was like after.. but maybe that one would be better. Arrgh its very frustrating because when I look at the past exams, syllabus and after asking people in senior grades both have their pros and cons.

cupcake08

HSC
i'm interested in media/comm as well and i do legal and modern. which one you choose really depends on what you're good at.

generally you need to be good at essaywriting for both of them, but legal is more memory based - there is a lot of content you need to learn, dates of legislation etc. most of what you need to know comes straight from the textbook. Modern involves wider reading, more analysis of events/ being able to argue a case.

personally, i've found modern involves more work, but maybe thats just cause my school has a nazi history department :(

frontin

HSC
cupcake08 said:
i'm interested in media/comm as well and i do legal and modern. which one you choose really depends on what you're good at.

generally you need to be good at essaywriting for both of them, but legal is more memory based - there is a lot of content you need to learn, dates of legislation etc. most of what you need to know comes straight from the textbook. Modern involves wider reading, more analysis of events/ being able to argue a case.

personally, i've found modern involves more work, but maybe thats just cause my school has a nazi history department :(
Thanks for that :) its cool getting a perspective from somebody whos older but looking at the same lines as you.. Is Legal boring? I hear it is and Modern is more fascinating but Modern is a lot more harder and a pain in the arse.

Lol! Our History department is pretty good so I'm not really worrying about the staff.. Also scaling is not really an issue since their both around the same i've heard just modern a bit more higher

I'm not sure if I have a good memory but I know I'm pretty good at essays and speeches.. Which one do you find more fascinating and more useful for the future?

vorahk

HSC
well, it depends what YOU like, why? coz i love legal, its my best subject, yet like you said, some can find it boring (not many from my class). but then again this applies to all subjects.

i dont do modern but ive heard theres a lot of work involved. and for me, the legal assessments arent that hard to get top marks (i go to a selective school as well).

having said that im pretty sure modern would fascinate me as normal history did for me, i love learning about the past, too bad i couldnt fit any history in ><.

try and see if the teachers who would be teaching both subjects are good or not, because teachers matter A LOT. try asking the current yr 11s and 12s in your school as well.

jessdoit

HSC
Everyone's said it and I'm going to say it again. It's really up to what you like. Are you more interested in the constitution of law and human rights or would you rather learn stuff about... ohh i don't know what's in modern but those kindof topics?

If you were any good in history during 7-10 and you enjoyed it, I'd probably say choose modern history? But if you'd like a change and show more interest in legislation and how they are enforced in society then choose legal studies?

You could try and take the workload into consideration but they're on the same level I think. Maybe you could try and see which subject has the better teachers? : P Or even worse case scenario as suggested before, flip a coin, but feel no regrets! Okay scrap the teacher idea I just read your previous reply to someone...

Well what about overall workload? Music will demand a fair bit of time and effort so maybe you want less stuff to memorise like History so that you aren't too overloaded with work?

Last edited:

princy

HSC
I do both and personally I enjoy Modern History more, it would have to be my favourite subject that I do.

But really, it is up to you, I would go Modern History because I have considered dropping Legal, but be prepared, both of them are a lot of memory work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)