• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which is the better option? (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
My dad just recently bought a laptop and wants to connect it wirelessly to our existing broadband connection. The laptop is equipt with a wireless card so it is ready to go, but our desktop isn't.

Which is the better option for me, should I get a wireless broadband network and set up a LAN....or should I change my modem (on my desktop) to a wireless broadband modem so they can talk to each other?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Set up a wired/wireless LAN. Either way you'll need a router - most nowdays offer both wired and wireless connections, so your desktop can connect to the router with a cable, and the laptop connect wirelessly.

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
buy a router. at most around $200.

connect it through ethernet to your desktop cable modem that you currently have.

your new laptop probably already has a wireless card in it (is it centrino).

run a few programs and you'll be sharing broadband in no time.

sunny

meh.
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
yeah get rid of the dial up modem and put in a wireless card
How are the two related?

0o0 said:
buy a router. at most around $200.

connect it through ethernet to your desktop cable modem that you currently have.

your new laptop probably already has a wireless card in it (is it centrino).

run a few programs and you'll be sharing broadband in no time.
If you're using a router, you won't need any software :p

sunny

meh.
HSC
melsc said:
:uhhuh: I made sure he got a centrino one :)
Is the LAN hard to set up?
Most new routers are very easy to set up.

What sort of broadband do you have? Cable or ADSL?

How is your broadband modem currently connected to your computer? If it is connected by a USB connection, that could be a problem when using a router. If not, all you'll need to do is connect your broadband modem to the router, your desktop computer to the router, turn on some wireless settings in your router and you should be all set.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
sunny said:
Most new routers are very easy to set up.

What sort of broadband do you have? Cable or ADSL?

How is your broadband modem currently connected to your computer? If it is connected by a USB connection, that could be a problem when using a router. If not, all you'll need to do is connect your broadband modem to the router, your desktop computer to the router, turn on some wireless settings in your router and you should be all set.
its cable. Its connected by some cable I cant think of what it is called directly to the ethernet card (its a PCI one)

sunny

meh.
HSC
melsc said:
its cable. Its connected by some cable I cant think of what it is called directly to the ethernet card (its a PCI one)
Then you're all set :) Most routers will be able to automatically detect your ISPs settings for you the second you've connected it up and turned it on. Some popular brands you can look at are Netgear, Linksys and D-Link.

Most router packages come with a small network cable to connect to your cable modem. Then you can use your existing cable to connect the computer to the router.

If the router package doesn't come with the cable, you'll have to buy one of these "CAT5" cables, which aren't too expensive for several metres worth.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
sunny said:
Then you're all set :) Most routers will be able to automatically detect your ISPs settings for you the second you've connected it up and turned it on. Some popular brands you can look at are Netgear, Linksys and D-Link.

Most router packages come with a small network cable to connect to your cable modem. Then you can use your existing cable to connect the computer to the router.

If the router package doesn't come with the cable, you'll have to buy one of these "CAT5" cables, which aren't too expensive for several metres worth.
Awwww thanks so much...networking is not my forte :) Thanks so much again...and if I can't figure it out...I'll be on here whining again

Something like this?
http://www.eyo.com.au/details_M-DI-524.html

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I told the guy at Dicksmith what I wanted...and that it was CABLE internet NOT ADSL...He sold me this

http://www.eyo.com.au/details_M-DSL-G604T.html I AM SURE THATS ThE WRONG MODEM AND I RANG THE GUY BACK AND HE ISISTS THAT IT SHOULD WORK!

I dont see how I am supposed to get it to work since I dont have an ADSL LINE pllssss help me

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
What they have sold you will not work. Return it with your receipt to the person that sold it to you and tell them (again) that it is cable and not ADSL. Hell the damn thing has an ADSL modem in it when you don't even need one.

I have checked the specs of the item he sold you - it won't work if you have cable (as a matter of fact theres no where for you to even to connect your cable modem to)

You can tell him: I do not have ADSL - this uses an RJ11 connection between the wall socket and the router you've sold me. What I want is a CABLE router - that uses a RJ45 connection between my cable modem and the router.

The model that you posted before in your last edit is the kind you want (a cable router, that has a CAT5 connection for the cable modem)

The RJ11 picture is the connector that is at the back of the 604 they've sold you - the RJ11 connector only fits a normal telephone line. The second picture RJ45 is the back of the 524 model you posted - that RJ45 connector is much wider.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
sunny said:
What they have sold you will not work. Return it with your receipt to the person that sold it to you and tell them (again) that it is cable and not ADSL. Hell the damn thing has an ADSL modem in it when you don't even need one.

I have checked the specs of the item he sold you - it won't work if you have cable (as a matter of fact theres no where for you to even to connect your cable modem to)

You can tell him: I do not have ADSL - this uses an RJ11 connection between the wall socket and the router you've sold me. What I want is a CABLE router - that uses a RJ45 connection between my cable modem and the router.

The model that you posted before in your last edit is the kind you want (a cable router, that has a CAT5 connection for the cable modem)

The RJ11 picture is the connector that is at the back of the 604 they've sold you - the RJ11 connector only fits a normal telephone line. The second picture RJ45 is the back of the 524 model you posted - that RJ45 connector is much wider.
Dont worry I called them up again and told them which model they should have sold me and they said they'll order one in for me and I can return the one I got.

The thing that pissed me off was I KNEW it wouldnt work I told the guy about four times I have a CABLE connection and it said ADSL on the box... I said to him are you aure it will work, its a cable connection! as soon as I opened it i knew there was no where for my cable connection, I hate it when people pretend they know what they are talking about when they dont! Grrrr

Oh and thanks again for listening to my rants :)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
I have a basic wireless lan network without a router... the speeds are just fine, but sometimes to signal is weak...

it says something like 11 mbps ... any recommendations for improvement (i.e. less knockouts) - i've been hearing stuff on wireless routers...

sunny

meh.
HSC
Signal strength would depend sometimes on where you've put your wireless access point. Putting it near alot of other electrical equipment can cause interference.

11Mbps should be the normal speed if you have a 802.11b access.

A wireless router is a wireless access point that can share an Internet connection between computers that are connected to it.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
the computers are only like 3 metres away... yeh maybe its the access point... its facing away from the other computer.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Huratio said:
the computers are only like 3 metres away... yeh maybe its the access point... its facing away from the other computer.
Are there other wireless things around? You can try and change the wireless channel between 1, 6 or 11 and see if there is better signal strength.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)