Which mark would be better: 80% (1/20) or 90% (20/20) (1 Viewer)

redherring

HSC
what do you guys reckon. obviously it depends on your school and the rest of the state, yada yada yada, but in general- which mark do you think would be better for your uai?

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
politik said:
How about, you spend less time worrying about rankings, and more time worrying about your studies?
much agreed.
..... but, if i had to choose, i'd go for the 80% for 1st thx, even though ur question is just... not right.. =.=

redherring

HSC
politik said:
How about, you spend less time worrying about rankings, and more time worrying about your studies?
i find that ironic coming from someone who has posted over five and a half thousand posts. also, it's holidays and i've finished most of my study, so either shutup or answer the question.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
:O attacking politik, I think he was merely trying to put out that it is best not to worry about all the what if situations.

But to answer your question I agree with everyone else the former option is best.

cupcake08

HSC
politik said:

ooohhh cut down.

umm yeah, first is definitely better. who cares what mark you get if you rank first!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Rankings are more important? Eep, this is where I get worried. I go to a selective school that apparently came 2nd for the 2006 HSC. I can try my best, but I'm not kidding myself - it's unlikely I'll come 1st. Sooo, I could come last in a subject at my school, but were I to be at another non-selective school I might have been ranked fifth. Same work/different rankings. So would HSC markers take what school you go to into account? I don't want to be shooting myself in the foot by going to a "good" school yet having a low ranking, when I could be going to a not-so-good school but have a great ranking.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
The moderating process takes care of the difference between schools. Getting a low rank at Hornsby Girls will probably be better than getting fifth at a crappy school. You're not disadvantaging yourself by going to a selective school.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
LOL thank you. I asked about this in another thread and found out all about the moderating process (which I hadn't even heard of before) so yes. hehe. thank you though!

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
redherring said:
i find that ironic coming from someone who has posted over five and a half thousand posts. also, it's holidays and i've finished most of my study, so either shutup or answer the question.
Hahahaha ben! That was funny. The 80% 1/20 is better, coz you're ahead of everyone else! + the UAI is a rank.

sly_skittle

HSC
If you went to a top school full of mega genius's then the second would probably be better- but why would you ask that? why don't you just try and get the highest rank you can? That's like asking 'if you were stuck on a deserted island with no food would you eat your own leg?'
-it's not relavant- I mean why would you go so well in your ranking and then only get 80 in the exam? or go so crap in your ranking and then get 90?- it wouldn't happen- unless you were dumb enough to bludge the entire year, in which case you wouldn't be smart enough to get 90%

G

gaoOO

SoulSearcher said:
I'd take the 1st even if the mark was 5%.
too true... i'd take 1/20 over 20/20 anyday, regardless of any percentages involved. It could be 1% vs 99% for all i care, but you'd always take the rank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)