Which text books to purchase? (1 Viewer)

Carl5

HSC
Since we can't actually see the old threads that recommend which books to get, I thought I might start a new one now since I've been seeing some books around.

The subjects I do are:

Economics
Advanced English
Chemistry
Mathematics
Extension Mathematics
IPT
IT

But post whatever for the sake of other people.

Also, are the Excel books worth it? More so, the past exam paper ones, since can't we just download past exam papers off the net?

Thank you.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Since we can't actually see the old threads that recommend which books to get, I thought I might start a new one now since I've been seeing some books around.

The subjects I do are:

Economics
Advanced English
Chemistry
Mathematics
Extension Mathematics
IPT
IT

Also, are the Excel books worth it? More so, the past exam paper ones, since can't we just download past exam papers off the net?

Thank you.
well for IT, we have an excel IT book, (we never touched it in year 11) but this year we may use it.

IPT maybe the heinemann books are good enough for you.

For maths, I've heard MIF is crap, but it's what we use so yea.

English is what ever your school is doing for your prescribed texts.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Economics - dixon or riley - although i find riley much more wordy than dixon.

advanced english - excel ?

chemistry - conquering / jacaranda

2U / 3U maths - explanation: fitzpatrick, question: cambridge

dunno about IPT / IT

Also, are the Excel books worth it?
yes. it's half the price of a normal textbook - i find it useful.

More so, the past exam paper ones, since can't we just download past exam papers off the net?
yes.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

The subjects I do are:

Economics
Advanced English
Chemistry
Mathematics
Extension Mathematics
IPT
IT

Thank you.
I was in the same shoes as you a while ago deciding which books, I took the opinion of many people and went out and bought myself a Cambridge 3U Year 11. It is divided into three sections, foundation, development and extension. It has a range of questions to suit your study needs and there are websites in which you can download past papers from different schools.

P.S Make sure you don't buy a textbook your school is using.

Last edited:

Gigacube

HSC
The only one I know of for IT is the Excel one.

Your school probably uses the Sam Davis textbook for IPT but using the excel one alongside won't hurt.

Eddy Q

OINK
HSC
Preliminary:
Recommended
Chemistry: Conquering Chemistry by Roland Smith (McGraw Hill) or Chemistry Contexts by...various authors, cbf naming them (Longman).
[Comments]: In my preliminary course I used Chemistry Contexts and it was very good textbook, although it does contain some unessential facts it is still very useful. Conqueirng Chemistry is also excellent as it contains succinct and relevant information. I recommend both but if I had a choice I would choose Conquering Chemistry.

Economics: The Market Economy (Leading Edge, NOTE: Any year edition will do and if you need up to date data, you can just find them on the internet and not waste money on a new edition of the textbook. In preliminary economics it is not important to have the latest textbook.)
[Comments]:Tim Riley's textbook Year 11 Economics (I think that's what it's called) is also a good textbook although I found it hard to understand at times and may contain unessential calculation methods.

English Advanced: Your prescribed texts.

Mathematics: New Senior Mathematics by Fitzpatrick or Cambridge.
[Comments]: Fitzpatrick is probably all you will need if you are competent at maths.

Mathematics Extension 1: New Senior Mathematics by Fitzpatrick or Cambridge
[Comments]: Same as above.

Physics: Jacaranda Physics.
[Comments]: Very good textbook.

Studies of Religion 2: Oxford Studies of Religion or Living Religion
[Comments:] Oxford is much more 'abstract' than Living Religion but either is fine.

Optional
There is no need to waste money on optional books besides Mathematic ones during Year 11, save your money for the hsc. =)

Mathematics Extension 1: Maths in Focus
[Comments]: I never use this textbook because its questions are too damn easy but its explanations are very simple. Useful if you don't understand certain concepts.

HSC:
Recommended
Chemistry: Conquering Chemistry by Roland Smith (McGraw Hill) or Chemistry Contexts by...various authors, cbf naming them (Longman).
[Comments]: Currently using Conquering Chemistry but I also have Chemistry Contexts. I use Conquering Chemistry most of the time but Chemistry Contexts also has valuable information.

English Advanced: Your prescribed texts.

Mathematics: New Senior Mathematics by Fitzpatrick or Cmabridge
[Comments]: Fitzpatrick is all you will need, but if you're having difficulties with this course I suggest getting another book from Optional.

Mathematics Extension 1: New Senior Mathematics by Fitzpatrick or Fundamental Mathematics by Terry Lee or Cambridge
[Comments]: Terry Lee is very good.

Mathematics Extension 2: New Senior Mathematics by Fitzpatrick or Advanced Mathematics by Terry Lee or Cambridge
[Comments]: Get terry lee.

Physics: Jacaranda Physics.
[Comments]: Best textbook, you don't need anything else.

Studies of Religion 2: Oxford Studies of Religion or Living Religion or Cambridge Studies of Religion
[Comments]: Oxford is abstract, Living Religion is very literal and Cambridge is, in my opinion, too succinct but good enough.

Optional
Chemistry: Excel Chemistry (LATEST EDITION), Dot Point Chemistry, Surfing Chemistry Macquarie Revision Guide Chemistry and Conquering Chemistry Black Line Masters

English Advanced: Top Notes, Spark Notes, etc.

Mathematics Extension 1: Maths in Focus, Past Paper Books like Success One, etc.

Mathematics Extension 2: Past Papers, etc...

Physics: In2 Physics, Physics in focus, Dot Point, Surfing

Studies of Religion 2: Excel

Sorry it's not consistent I have been typing for a long time. =( I deserve cookies.

P.S. Excel is garbage, just get a textbook. Get Excel only if you have money to waste.

WILL COMPLETE SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Economics - Tim Riley; the detail helps.
Advanced English - don't need one
Chemistry - Conquering / Jacaranda (lot of people have different opinions on this)
Mathematics - Fitpatrick
Ext Maths - Cambridge / Terry Lee

As said earlier, don't get the same textbook your school is using otherwise you're an idiot.

Also, my post is simplified derp. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)