HSC
I'm currently doing
-Advanced Eng
-English Extension
-3U maths
-Chem
-Physics
-Geography.

Which textbooks would people advise I buy for those subjects and use as extra revision.

I'm thinking of buying:
- Cambridge 3U textbook for maths
-Excel Year 12 Chemistry
-Excel Year 12 Physics
-Excel Year 12 Geography.

Any recommendations?

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
get the surfing physics series...They are really good.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Well i do 3U maths, Physics and English Advanced so i can really only comment on those.

For Physics I recommend getting the success one book for later on when studying for the Trial and HSC (not a textbook just good questions). Excel is also good for a quick reference but dont rely on it.

For Maths you can use cambridge if it wont be too difficult, I would also get another text book like Fitzpatrick and later on get the success one or equivalent book that has past HSC papers and answers.

For English I have no clue, we just get truckloads of sheets

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
^ we dont get any sheets for english ( sorry for crashing the thread lol) what do u guys get englihs sheets on? its weird that we get none and our english part of our folder is empty and u guys seem to get heaps

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Everything that you can imagine, we got: photocopies of textbooks, websites, newspaper articles, magazines, book reviews, television and movie scripts, etc basically anything that has a little to do with the topic we got

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
i know i should probably post this as a diff thread but umm.. what textbook would be good for 2U maths for next year?

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
jameszeng said:
I'm currently doing
-Advanced Eng
-English Extension
-3U maths
-Chem
-Physics
-Geography.

Which textbooks would people advise I buy for those subjects and use as extra revision.

I'm thinking of buying:
- Cambridge 3U textbook for maths
-Excel Year 12 Chemistry
-Excel Year 12 Physics
-Excel Year 12 Geography.

Any recommendations?
Cambridge is 1337, many people recommend Cambridge. Even if you find it hard at first, don't worry, once you get used to it, the school exams would be a cinch. (well it really depends on which school you go to anyway...) Fitzpatrick is good too.
DON'T get the Excel Chem. I used the Prelim one but it wasn't much help. And I scanned through the HSC one, wasn't much good either. Also, everyone I know who bought Excel Physics says it sucks big time.
We're using Conquering Chemistry at school, it's very good =) As for the Success One series, you don't really need to buy them, just download past papers from the Board of Studies site and stuff.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
some of Cambridge is irrelevant
for physics, use jacaranda unless your school is already using it

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
Yep, the macquarie study guides are really good for revision, cause they have mulitple choice answers etc. but i recommend you use both your school textbook as well as study guide, that way, it's easier to understand ;)

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Well this year. I found the Excel Preliminary 2U and Extension 1 really helpful.

The Excel chem was a no no, really really sucked and did not help.

The Excel physics was okay, though i'm looking for a better one.

-I relied on the teacher for extra sheets for english.

-I really need just like complimentary helpbooks for the things the teacher doesn't cover in class. So Jacaranda or Success one physics or Excel physics for Year 12??.

-I guess Cambridge 3U is the way to go.

-We're using Conquering Chemistry, is there anything that will compliment that.

-Georgraphy i'll stick to Excel as there's no other helpbooks.

Thanks

And for 2U maths. I think you can get Cambridge 2U version as well. If not then i'm sure Excel maths will provide ok extra questions and good worked answers.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Oh and anyone know where I could get my hands on some past Independent Trial Exams test papers. Those thingys that most schools buy.

Thanks

astro

HSC
For English i recommend "Edible English" by Judy McLaughlin.....my english bible.....it has explanations and examples of many techniques used in english including film. I think you can only get it at Dymocks though.

S

Sheehan :)

fo0r english if u want to go all out buy the Fuller adv. english book......although its a bit expensive its worth every single penny or cent wat eva

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)