• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which tutoring centre for science? (Proed vs ZhangsHSC) (2 Viewers)

samthecow123

HSC
I am in year 10, going to year 11 next year. I am considering starting physics and chemistry tutoring either at ZhangsHSC or Proed however am unsure which college is better.

fesi2w3

If I don't get a 99+ it's over for everyone
HSC
(I only do chemistry, if it matters) I'm sure ZhangsHSC is a really good tutoring centre (considering the prices and its success rate at producing high marks), it's just a matter of how high you're trying to aim and how much money you're willing to shell out. I go to Proed and I think it's a great place, I manage to do just as well as my peers in who are in Zhangs. If I put in the effort, I'm sure I can outdo them.

I'm sure Zhangs has some amazing way of churning out high marks (I've never been there so I don't know what the environment is like, although I've heard its really good), but unless you absolutely want and NEED 100s and you can afford it, I think you might better off going Proed and being a bit more disciplined. Zhangs is a lot of money for a tutor, and it really adds up. If you choose not to go with Zhangs, that's fine, because I promise you there are thousands of students who B6'ed chemistry/physics without going Zhangs.

In my experience: Proed is nice, pretty chill, and the tutors are great. It's 2hr sessions in yr11 and 3hr sessions in yr12. I'm guessing Zhangs is going to be more rigorous, so if that's more beneficial to you then you should absolutely go for it! If you think you can reach your goals without spending the extra ~$40/hr (iirc) that Zhangs requires compared to other tutoring centres, then all the better!

Again, it's just a matter of where your priorities lie, and what fits your goals & lifestyle better!

iloveeggs

HSC
zhangs is nice ig, like fesi2w3 mentioned it is quite expensive. but it is only worth it if you have a good teacher. you might want to ask around on this forum if anyone has had any success. i am moving this term to somehwere else bc i hate online tutoring and i can't find a good tutor in zhangs for my year group for in person lessons. for chem and physics.

but thats my personal experience and yeah most ppl in my school swear by zhangs so it is a good place. idk about proed bc ive never been myself

igor9

HSC
zhangs, but just don't do what i did and do it online and have a snooze during every lesson.

coolcat6778

HSC
I am in year 10, going to year 11 next year. I am considering starting physics and chemistry tutoring either at ZhangsHSC or Proed however am unsure which college is better.
Just read a textbook. You were taught to read since kindergarten for a reason. Buy or pirate a textbook. I recommend Physics in Focus for physics, it's very in depth and written by unsw physics phd people. Also in university, you will do a lot of textbook reading anyway. Trust me, you will do much better than everyone in the tutoring centre if you fully comprehend the textbook. If you don't get the score you want, blame yourself, not the textbook. Also, if you want exam questions, find them from past hsc papers from the government's website or thsc.

Last edited:

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
Just read a textbook. You were taught to read since kindergarten for a reason. Buy or pirate a textbook. I recommend Physics in Focus for physics, it's very in depth and written by unsw physics phd people.
if you can acquire textbooks by "alternative non monetary methods" you can acquire other material e.g the ones being discussed by "alternative non monetary methods".

but to answer the original qn idk anything about proed but yes zhangs tutors vary from using the default ugly slides to making their own decent slides; heard they've revamped some stuff asw so hmm

fesi2w3

If I don't get a 99+ it's over for everyone
HSC
Just read a textbook. You were taught to read since kindergarten for a reason. Buy or pirate a textbook. I recommend Physics in Focus for physics, it's very in depth and written by unsw physics phd people.
Honestly totally agree with this, if you're disciplined enough; self-teaching is better than any sort of tutoring if you can build a genuine interest in it (videos and textbooks have always been my self-teaching best friend). The upcoming summer break is the perfect time to get a head start on preliminary chemistry and physics, and that should be the first thing you do before you decide if a tutor is necessary. But if you realise that you learn way better through actively being taught things/struggle with forcing yourself to study for these subjects, then don't be afraid to seek a tutor ^^ Not to mention that it's also always helpful to have someone you can ask face-to-face about questions you have about the subject with guaranteed immediate responses and the guaranteed qualifications (forums can be hit-or-miss at times with responses, although I believe BOS might be on the better side of the spectrum in my short experience)

moonsuyoung

im hungry
HSC
Like everybody has said above, it really depends on what tutor you get for Zhangs. But the pace is SUPER DUPER FAST (for phys) and if you don't have enough time for the content (which usually happens), you have to learn it yourself, which can be difficult sometimes. The hw questions are really challenging but the notes that they give you, the formatting is really bad.

I know a few people who go to proed, and it seems decent? Personally, I recommend it learning it yourself during the holidays and if it's not going great to go tutoring (you can always do catch up-lessons at tutoring in the holidays as some places offer this). For physics try to find some good sources for questions because textbook questions don't cut it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)