which year 11 topics carry into year 12 physics? (1 Viewer)

liamkk112

HSC
arguably everything but mod 3 in terms of the concepts, but here’s a breakdown:

- mod 1 - u need to know acceleration, velocity, displacement, how to use vectors, velocity time graphs and similar, suvat, and relative motion

- mod 2 - newtons laws, free body diagrams, friction (debatably but i’d recommend), energy and power, work, momentum

- mod 3 - the concepts of heat energy, standing waves and the doppler effect (no formulas needed), longitudinal and transverse waves, wavelength and frequency, refraction, diffraction, the wave equation, period, reflection, superposition

- mod 4 - electric fields, coloumbs, coloumbs law, voltage/potential difference, work in electric fields, very basic circuits (you usually won’t be expected to draw them but i’d recommend roughly knowing them for drawing diagrams to support answers), current and resistance, power in circuits, magnetic fields, solenoids, right hand rules to determine magnetic field direction

so essentially all of mod1,2 and 4, and for mod 3 you can pretty much forget about thermodynamics but make sure you know waves well

C_master

HSC

- mod 1 - u need to know acceleration, velocity, displacement, how to use vectors, velocity time graphs and similar, suvat, and relative motion

- mod 2 - newtons laws, free body diagrams, friction (debatably but i’d recommend), energy and power, work, momentum

- mod 3 - the concepts of heat energy, standing waves and the doppler effect (no formulas needed), longitudinal and transverse waves, wavelength and frequency, refraction, diffraction, the wave equation, period, reflection, superposition

- mod 4 - electric fields, coloumbs, coloumbs law, voltage/potential difference, work in electric fields, very basic circuits (you usually won’t be expected to draw them but i’d recommend roughly knowing them for drawing diagrams to support answers), current and resistance, power in circuits, magnetic fields, solenoids, right hand rules to determine magnetic field direction

so essentially all of mod1,2 and 4, and for mod 3 you can pretty much forget about thermodynamics but make sure you know waves well
so your telling me that if I forget stuff then I would have to come back to prelim stuff to revise or is that unnecessary?

anonymoushehe

HSC

omfg

liamkk112

HSC
so your telling me that if I forget stuff then I would have to come back to prelim stuff to revise or is that unnecessary?
nah youll go over it again (except for like the BASIC basic stuff like law of conservation of energy, but honestly by the time you make it to year 12 you'd hope that's burned into your brain)

its good to know the prelim content well tbh, if you know it well then you shouldn't find most of year 12 physics too hard

anonymoushehe

HSC

is the image stuff for refraction and reflection important for yr 12?

liamkk112

HSC
is the image stuff for refraction and reflection important for yr 12?
nah not really
for mod 3 u just have to understand the concepts more than anything else, in year 12 you’re more expected to know how it works to explain other stuff (eg you learn about competing models of light, and you might need to explain how reflection/refraction supports one model and refutes another - the important part is just that you understand what refraction is and how it’s a wave property)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)