• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Who does very well in english and doesn't read at all? (2 Viewers)

FinalFantasy

HSC
just wondering if theres any good english students who never read books...
o_O

nomz

actually... i know someone last year who didn't even read their english hsc texts, made up stimulus material and got a band five... not fair!!! I tried so hard this year but i think i most likely failed....

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I did pretty good in english, i beat all but 1 student in my class, including all ext 1 and ext 2 students...i wouldnt say very well until i see my results. The way you succeed in english varies greatly between people, personally i have never read a book outside of school, and inside of school the only ones i read since year 7 were "Brave New World", "The Year of Living dangerously", "Great Expectations" and "To Kill a Mokingbird"

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
ive had full marks in exams for essays regarding novels i had only half read

FinalFantasy

HSC
hmmm.. ppl say reading is da only way to get good at english...
i hate reading and i never read a thing.......
i don't even read all of the texts we do at school

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i read and am just okay at english
i don't think it really has anything to do with it
but i am better at maths and i hate english

mack

Banned
HSC
English to me was like a sphere of chaos.......Same responses were given different marks by different teachers. I found the best way was to read your texts 5+ times and just write practise essay after practise essay until its lodged in your head.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
i reckon there's a certain trick to doing well in advanced. once you know what to throw into your essays and are familiar with different text types, you'll be right. addressing all aspects of the question is really important, as well as having a complete grasp of the concept being studied (journeys, telling the truth etc)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
um well....best way to hone writing skills is to read...that's what they told us in ext 2.
I used to read a lot but yeah, kinda stopped once I got to yr 10, no time....

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
you just need to have read enough to get the essential themes and some good evidence for your essays.

sly fly

HSC
reading helps out heaps, i used to read like a whole novel a day and i was really good at english. Now i never read and i pretty much suck.......its just good coz it makes u familar with writing techniques nd making sentences seem interesting nd it teaches u lots of big words lol ..............BTW SAM doesnt work, ive been trying to get on it but it wont work so if anyone knows any sites other than BOS for calculating UAI's then plzzz lemme know thanx

Numero Uno

HSC
Well .. English is not a "concrete" subject .. it's all bullshit .. half the time ur regurgitating wut ur teacher has told u .. but in a more sophisticated way ..

obviously the best way to improve ur english is read , write journals and do practice essays whenever possible

.. i dont do any of these things that's .. why im going just above average in my assessments

so my advice to u is just to stick with real subjects like sciences and mathematics
cause thats gonna get u to places ;) where they can't bullshit you like they do in english
cause english is all a matter of opinion one essay can be shit to one teacher but very good to another
and reputation has alot to do with ur marks as well

ta-da

HSC
i think some of the things numero uno is going on about is true .. however science sucks ass
you can use the different perspectives thing to your own advantage ... whatever you write cant be considered wrong.. just a different perspective, just make sure you dont have an ass for a teacher and if you do.. be nice to them
reading certainly does help .. especially with allusions, if you wanna reach a high level of english you need to be realising that most things are ripped off ... then used again .. n again .. omg too much english extension for me
having said that ... i haven't read more then i usually do ... which isn't much, i usually dont read prescribed texts unless theyre interesting but still do quite good for myself

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
i came 4/123 ( for eng adv) i dont read any books ( including the school texts)
i am trying to read more though ( like school books) for hsc

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
Practice is the key to getting good marks in english. Everything is NOT just a matter of opinion. a concrete essay or argument in any form relies upon solid textual evidence to back it up. Extensive reading could be the difference between a 19 and a 20. It improves your vocabularly and expression and can help generate ideas and widen your understanding of the realm of possibilites open to a writer, particularly concerning creative pieces.

nicko88

whatever..
HSC
FinalFantasy said:
just wondering if theres any good english students who never read books...
o_O
that would be me. i can honestly say that i rarely ever read but i actually get decent marks from english surprisingly enough.
:)

pig_93

HSC
yeah i read a LOT
and yet im only getting a high range a mark ie 17 or most of the time, 18 out of 20
so yeah.
i mean if u dont have to read thats lucky lol

i know some ppl who arent even reading our AOS novel (empire of the sun) and are getting the same marks as me

relying on study guides etc

HSC
N/A
Hmm.

In my personal opinion, reading for pleasure is not going to really "help" you as much in terms of marks as study guides would. Reading David Eddings is NOT going to spoon-feed you the Jacobean Tragedy elements found within Hamlet, and by the same token, reading Harry Potter isn't going to help you understand prose fiction either.

But - I am a profilic bookworm. Even through the HSC, I didn't really stop. In blunt terms, the best thing it did was make me read my prescribed texts, many of which I found dull - but since I love to read, it kept me going.

When you read a large number and variety of books I think you tend to "notice" things a lot better - such as a particular tone the author is establishing, or little things that aren't normally there/are there that aren't normally there etc etc. The ability to analyse a text without the use of study guides, for example, is one of the things that can develop with wider reading.

Silvermoon stated most of the benefits of wider reading - such as improved vocabulary and a greater understanding.

I think with the Advanced English course, you can get a Band 6 with the help of study guides and many critiqued practice essays (or at least, I did), but to get a really good mark (particularly for EE1 and EE2 people), then I think you really do have to do some reading to gain a better understanding of literature and how it is used... you can "know" it thanks to study guides, but you won't really understand it until you're able to apply what you know to things you read for pleasure :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)