who knows about this...? (1 Viewer)

frida

Hello,

Does anyone have any idea who to make a leaf, go transparent....like go see through?.....its for a project, and if you have any ideas on how to? Please give me a buzz...thanks

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
we did this experiemnt... we did that to c the stomata, guard cells and how it is affected by weather, temperature etc...

first we get like a layer of nail polisher on the leaf's epidermus and allow it to dry... then, we just peel off the nail polish and the epidermus along wif stomata, guard cells are peeled off with it... then u gotta do like, standard slide thing and prolly a drop of water to prevent it from overheating from the microscope...

frida

hay thanks for the idea, but i got to do like heaps of leaf, like proably 50 or something, so i cant just sit there and start peeling.....hehe....do you know any other method. theres this method where you put the leaves in the solution, but i dont know the name if it.

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
are you trying to get rid of the chlorophyll? i think thats where you put it in iodine or was it metho and boil it.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by frida
hay thanks for the idea, but i got to do like heaps of leaf, like proably 50 or something, so i cant just sit there and start peeling.....hehe....do you know any other method. theres this method where you put the leaves in the solution, but i dont know the name if it.
which exp r u tryin to do??? that may be a great help for others who want to help u...

Researcher88

HSC
The leaf.

1) Heat a leaf in water for 1 minute.
2) Take the leaf out of the water and put it in a test tube half filled with ethanol.
3) Put the test tube into a boiling water bath untill all the pigment has came out of the leaf and into the ethanol.

Saftey: Do not heat the TT on its own over naked flame. Since ethanol is flammable it may spit into the flame from the TT.

As you can see the chlorophyll has been extracted out from the leaf and into the ethanol therefore leaving the leaf translucent.

P.S I like the colour of the ethanol, i hate to throw it away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)