• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf/ A room of ones own (1 Viewer)

laura_hill

HSC
Assessment task:

'A deeper understanding of independence and identity emerges from considering the parallels between Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf and A room of Ones own'

Compare how these texts explore independence and identity.

Please help

What is with the play? Can i use the 'made up' son in any way and what ablout the hysterical pregnency?

And a room of ones own?!?! How can i explore virginia woolf more than the fact that she says you need money and a room of ones own to write? She just seems to be going around in circles

Thankyou in advance

NewiJapper

HSC
Who's afraid, independence;
- independence of martha over george "i wear the pants in this house"; first wave of feminism within the 60's
- independence of honey not wanting to have children like society expects her to; can like this back to how feminism began because women didnt want to be dictated by expecations.
- independence of ideas and speech which is indicative of the cold war; shown through censorship in the play in what martha and george can and can't say
Who's afraid, identity;
-fertility of the mind; the boy makes up their identity, is it martha's true identity with the child or do we see martha's real identity once the child has been removed?

A Room..., identity
-identity of women in writing; use of contrast from judith shakespeares identity as a woman ---> to the gender identity of women being a neccesity to men as they define them
-identity of truth in society; how it was shadowed by the facets of war --> the nugget of truth
A Room..., indepedence;
-independence being an enlightening characteristic of women; being caught up in societies constraints but breaking free to be an independent women and therefore able to write

Well thats basically some stuff in a nutshell of the top of my head? lol I havent looked at Module A since last term :/

I have an essay on this exact question i got 17/20 for, if you would like to REFERENCE material from? lol

Brontecat

HSC
Virginia Woolf doesn't just advocate the need for women to have a room of one's own in order to write, she explores the very fabrics of society and the inequality of the two genders in society. In the second chapter Woolf explores the concept of women presenting a looking glass (like a fun-house) mirror that exemplifies the male's superiority. She argues that woman are no better than men, yet are perceived as inferior due to their ability to make men appear superior (if that makes sense).
Additionally she makes many small allusions to other issues such as working class miners(when she talks about how she'll be eating prunes and custard for desert); women gaining suffrage in England; and religion.
Her very work shows the influences of the historical, social and cultural context of the early twentieth century. Her work shows heavy influence from the burgeoning modernist movement of the turn of the century. This is evident in her will to defy the literary 'norms' of essays at a time where language was incredibly stringent and restrictive.

I've only just started studying the module so i haven't done 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf', but I hope the stuff about 'A Room of One's Own' helps :)

p.s. Hope the assessment goes well and remember to address all the syllabus dotpoints for the module (even though the question doesn't specify it) :D

Brontecat

HSC
My school is pretty small so they've adopted a pathways kind of approach, except most of my subjects are done over two years.
So Biology, Mathematics were done in one year (2009) and Advanced English will be done this year (2010). :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)