• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Whose right? Drama teacher or me? (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
There are two scripts in front of me.

1) A great piece that suits me down to the core. Its out there, original and very, very funny.

2) A shitty piece that is about as right for me as a snap-croch teddy.

I want to do 1, drama teacher says 2.

Should I go with 1 over...there other...wait, one over the other? And if so, which one?

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
it's your piece.. you go with the one you think you can work with the best. Your teacher cant decide what your individual performance is going to be, if that happened you probably wouldnt be able to put as much passion and your own ideas into it - well i couldnt anyway.
Just go with what feels right

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Ask another teacher from another school, because all teachers have their own tastes and unique perspectives.

There was a boy in my class last year who did a 'disturbing' piece, it was playing Donnie from Donnie Darko and it was interaction between him and Frank. The boy in my class thought that it was really a top piece, cause he's into the film and all that kind of jazz. But we had an internal marking of IPs and his got slammed for being 'ordinary', 'too cliched', 'too hard to follow' and not addressing many criteria.

The reason why he listened to them was because it was marked by three drama teachers from three different schools.

Get another opinion.

HSC
Gavrillo said:
There are two scripts in front of me.

1) A great piece that suits me down to the core. Its out there, original and very, very funny.

2) A shitty piece that is about as right for me as a snap-croch teddy.

I want to do 1, drama teacher says 2.

Should I go with 1 over...there other...wait, one over the other? And if so, which one?
it depends why the teacher doesnt like it. if it lacks the things you need to fit the criteria then maybe its not a good idea. but if ur teacher just doesnt LIKE it, then dont listen to them. my teacher was hinting for me to do something that wasnt me but when i found what i liked we went over it and it will work. hopefully.

so as long as you think that it will work and its what you want then go with 1!

good luck!!

kristie87

HSC
it also depends on your attitude to both these pieces as well, because if you were to perform both of these to get a feel for which one would be better for you, you're going to be biased anyways, because you already like one and think it's ace for you and all, but you hate the other, and because you hate the other and have come to the conclusion that you already know which is the one you'll go with, it's going to prevent you from making an open-minded decision about the two...

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
it really depends on what you think.... i agree with Skillo, get another opinion cos it may just be that your techer is dumb like mine or they may have a point. find that out first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)