• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

why are some unis better then others.? (1 Viewer)

hatty

Banned
hey

ive never really thought about this, i guess ive always resigned to the widespread oppinion that UNSW is better then UWS, without ever really knowing why.

so why is it that some unis are considered better then others?

is it the employment prospects for the graduates?
or is it the difficulty of how they make certain course?
or is it simply something like the reputation of that uni? if so. what is this reputation built upon?

cheers

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
The reputation is based on academics producing higher quality research, student satisfaction, etc...

Difficulty is around the same, though the top unis tend to have harder assessemts

reputation is built on oldness

hatty

Banned
these academics that produce higher quality research...
are they students? or are they professors and teachers and stuff?
cheers

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i think for me, when considering how 'good' a uni is, i consider its graduates employment prospects, the campus and general vibe of the place, the individual courses, ability to attract research funding, etc.

estaile

so i suppose depending on the course you want to take, you should try and stay away from certin uni's? does it really make that much of a difference to your job prospects about which uni you go to?

santaslayer

HSC
hatty said:
hey

ive never really thought about this, i guess ive always resigned to the widespread oppinion that UNSW is better then UWS, without ever really knowing why.

so why is it that some unis are considered better then others?

is it the employment prospects for the graduates?
or is it the difficulty of how they make certain course?
or is it simply something like the reputation of that uni? if so. what is this reputation built upon?

cheers
I think you've summed up the major points to your own question, although reputation is becomming less important nowdays. Some employment statistics are obviously better than others, but at the end of the day, it usually comes down to the individual. I know many friends who are extremely talented but they go to universities which a majority might consider unsuitable for that particular course. Reputation isn't a real worry when your're getting HD's in every single subject of every single semester of every single year during your entire course.

LoLz, yes I know such a nerd, but this happens very rarely, what I guess I'm trying to point out is it comes down to the individual student at the end of the day. A lot of the people I have been referring to refuse to go to 'prestigious' unis because of proximity issues. :)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Employment prospects shouldn't be considered as a measure of success for a particular university, but that's just me taking note of the idea that a university is a place of higher learning rather than a mere vocationalised college.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
hatty said:
these academics that produce higher quality research...
are they students? or are they professors and teachers and stuff?
cheers
lecturers and professors produce most of the research. students aren't usually refered to as academics are they?

monzi

HSC
I agree with you Natstar, my friends brother, did radiography at charles sturt university and now he works for one of the top clinics in Sydney..earns over 150 grand a year..so in my opinion who cares what uni you attend a degree is a degree!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
also UWS started as a group of colleges that joined, so they haven't had the prestige since they joined

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)