• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Why do people do Comm/Law? (1 Viewer)

Bobbo1

HSC
I see all these 4 units maths and sciences kids wanting to do Law??
I don't get the point, is it just because of prestige or is there any other logical sense to this??

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
It's a pretty good degree combination that gives you access to a wide range of careers?

enoilgam

HSC
I don't get the point, is it just because of prestige or is there any other logical sense to this??
In my opinion, its mainly due to prestige+money. Also, many people think that because they get a big ATAR, they need to do a course which matches their potential. However, in saying that some law students do it because they have a passion or liking for the subject. One of my best mates, who was dux at my school, was passionate about doing law from year 9. Additionally, as Aerath said, combining law and commerce gives you access to many different careers.

Bobbo1

HSC
What type of courses??...just because you do law does that mean you have to become a lawyer in the courts??

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I want to be an IBer, hence will choose this degree.
Commerce Major - Finance and Law Major - The Law of Banking

izzy88

HSC
What type of courses??...just because you do law does that mean you have to become a lawyer in the courts??
no - law is becoming seen as a much more generalist degree - only about 50% of graduates actually go on to practice law. Others go into business, academia, politics, government work etc etc

Furthermore, being a lawyer doesn't mean you will be in the courts - in a commercial practice if you are in mergers/acquisitions or banking etc you may not go into a court room in the majority of your career.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
no - law is becoming seen as a much more generalist degree - only about 50% of graduates actually go on to practice law. Others go into business, academia, politics, government work etc etc

Furthermore, being a lawyer doesn't mean you will be in the courts - in a commercial practice if you are in mergers/acquisitions or banking etc you may not go into a court room in the majority of your career.
The only time a Clutz lawyer sees the inside of a courtroom is when they're being sued for sexual harassment.

Bobbo1

HSC
So it would be useful for a business type career path??, like investment banking or actuarial etc?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
As far as I know there is no majors for law.
I'm not 100% sure myself, but I think kaz1 is right. But obviously, employers ask which subjects you have done. (It'd be pretty difficult to get into a Family Law firm if you've done Environmental/Energy and Resources/Corporate etc).

enoilgam

HSC
You dont do a major for law, but you can do electives in the last few years.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Because they are risk averse and don't follow their heart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)