• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Why is it necessary to prepare a secondary standard solution? (1 Viewer)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
:rolleyes:

edit: never mind '-_-. i had a mind block. however i'm keeping this thread here if anyone wants to offer an explanation better than my own.

i'm talking about using HCl to standardise a NaOH solution. you can't make a NaOH solution because dry NaOH absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, therefore making calculations inaccurate. therefore it needs to be standardised by a primary standard - HCl.

am i wrong?

Last edited:

funking_you

HCl is NOT a primary standard. It cannot be obtained as a pure & stable solid.
HCl normally exists as a gas, HCl(g) , and when it is dissolve in water, it forms an acidic solutions, HCl(aq).
A commonly used acidic primary standard is oxalic acid.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
the question is:

"... standardized the sodium hydroxide solution using standard hydrochloric acid and then used sodium hydroxide solution to determine the concentration of the acetic acid solution... Explain the purpose of the first titration performed."

how would i explain that?

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
The purpose is to find the concentration of the sodium hydroxide solution which you can't prepare a primary standard of. You then need this concentration to find the conc. of the acetic acid.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
@ dreamish: HCl is not a primary standard as chem coach said... however you might have standardised it before hand using some other primary standard...

and since u have already standardised it, u can use it to standardise NaOH...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)