• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why is there so much politics in the school system? (1 Viewer)

hammy

HSC
I am amazed at the amout of politics lurking amongst the school system. Tell me I'm not alone, please.

My ambition is to do costume design and acting, so as my school is a country school there is no support. The politics - First as my school is smaller many subjects did not run because there were not enough people, usually missing out by one person. Textiles was one of these. Now at my school we have one the best teachers in the state, who has been able to get her students without fail into the top 10% of the state every time. That is bloody fantastic espescially for a small country school, which struggles to get a student over the 90% mark in the exams. We also have new top of the range equipment. So now I am doing this subject by distance education. I find it amazing that about 50% of the students in my year are forced to do subjects by distance when we have the resources right at our grasps going to waste. But to top it off we have the teachers persueing us to drop these subjects, the ones we are most passionate about because the school system doesnt "approve of it", but using the excuse that by doing it by distance will cause to much presure and You dont need it to get a good mark. I'm sorry but the pressure isnt coming from the subject.

Second the politics in money, the goverment spends billions on development and roads(please we do not want to look like america as well as curtsey to them) while schools are not getting any funding. Because our school gained in numbers by 2 and the current yr 7's family income rose by $100,so because we gained a slight increase in that particular year we have no priority school funding anymore so now instead of 1 of the 2 oval being fenced of for 5 years waiting for a multi purpose centre to be built, we have the that second oval back and we are still have to hire the local hall out every time we need an enclosed space to do something, so now we are becoming even more broke. But dont worry all the big shot schools are being government funded.

Third you'll laugh at this our school has now declined in numbers by 2 people and we are now over staffed by 0.7 teachers, and to avoid throwing any of the teachers out (now if that had happened more students would have to take ditance subjects) they tried to kick out the librarian and therefore close the library, with our principal stating that all research is being done over the internet nowdays and if we want info from books we can use the local library. Well our local library is an hours drive away and we arent able to get all info off the net anyway especially when our assesments require research from a range of sources. They quickly found out that the librarian was an appointed possition so that wouldnt work. and as our 1 and only drama teacher was leaving they couldn't had to appoint a new one there for up coming hsc class(oh we wont be having 1 for the first term this year when we start our major projects...that will be fun). they finally found a teacher to leave though.

1 another question. Are the teachers there for the students...or are the students there for the teachers? Last years preliminary class was left with a teacher who had never taught the advanced class before and was teaching us how to get a top mark ... of about a c average for a standard level class...all because HE needed the learning experience. he is now taking the prelim ext class this year..i wish them luck.

This is proberly not going to get widely recognised but i hope it does at least get recognised. The presure of the HSC is huge enough as it is and i have already lost friends and other people around my area through suicide because of it, I'm just praying that i can still make it. But they didnt need the extra politics involved and niether do we. I just get the impression that we are playing the peices in one big board game.

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Hmm, paragraphing would have made it more pleasant to read, instead of one big slab of text, you should edit your post for that. :)

In reply to what you said, it really makes me appreciate how fortunate urban schools are, to have decent and easy to access resources. The government does have other areas its budget to spend the revenue on, such as health and defence, which are also important for the country and its economy. I do feel for your school, in that the government should fund more to schools that are in remote locations.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Ok let me say this once and let anyone slur it:

Politics in the HSC exists for one major reason,

Rich kids + Private Schools = HSC success...

Get over it, get on with life, money = advantage... advantages EAS don't cover. Hey I'm 97.55, public school, shitty, less than halfway through the top schools list. I still come out orite. Mate of mine got 99.7 same school. Politics = backdoor entry, but I wouldn't worry about it.

hammy

HSC
nick1048 said:
Ok let me say this once and let anyone slur it:

Politics in the HSC exists for one major reason,

Rich kids + Private Schools = HSC success...

Get over it, get on with life, money = advantage... advantages EAS don't cover. Hey I'm 97.55, public school, shitty, less than halfway through the top schools list. I still come out orite. Mate of mine got 99.7 same school. Politics = backdoor entry, but I wouldn't worry about it.
I'm really pleased that you and your friend did so well... tell me do u live in an isolated area of a town of 1000 in a school of less than 200 and do you have to travel an hour just to get to shops to supply yourself for school. if you do please tell me how you did it i would love to know. I use to live in sydney so i know what it is like. I'm not going to let it shit me but i just wish it can be better for the people doing it in the future. But i think the one big advantage in an isolated small country school is that you get the one on one treatment from the teachers that you dont get as much as in the bigger schools.

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
Riviet.. woah, are we on this forum all day?

I guess it does open your eyes to the hardships faced by country schools. Especially the bureaucrats who are rather ineffective in gaining some regard for country schools.

I just get the impression that we are playing the peices (sic) in one big board game.
And that's life, really. It's just that you can see it clearer.

The only thing I suggest, though amoral, is getting your point across through the media. :ninja:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
hopeles5ly said:
2000 posts in less than 3 months :spam: :spam: :spam: !! lol
Hey, most of it is good stuff you know! I help people out around the forums. :p

P

pLuvia

I feel your discomfort hammy, but there's nothing you can do about it. But since you are doing it through Distant Education, try your best and prove to your school that it will be worth the time for the subject to be gone through with.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Agree with pluvia, just try and prove that distance education isn't a waste of time. In fact, I have the impression that those who do distance education are more motivated with their subject, because they know they're taking responsibility for their work, and because there's no-one else to help them if they don't, so I'm sure it'll work out for the best! :)

P

pLuvia

My friend says it's kind of hard doing things over Distant Education, as their are no one pressuring you to do work or the homework set for you. But hammy looks very keen, and will probably succeed

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
simply because there is a thing called "the man", "the man" is everywhere - on MTV, our principals, your future employer and even our leaders!! but its not a matter of mastering "the man" or understanding it.... we have to fight and STICK IT TO THE MAN! And you know what guys......... thats done with a little thing called......
ROCK AND ROLL!!!

Can you guess where i plagiarised that from... well the "idea" anyway?? ;)

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
AND also... the rich kids in their private schools get spoon fed.... and apparently quoting from a teacher of mine who use to go to one of them "rich schools" said to me that "the students in the private schools or rich schools are the ones likely to drop out of uni because they've spent all their high school life being spoon fed the information and when it comes to doing things on your own (like uni) they cant handle it..."

i hope that makes you feel better, when i heard that...i was on the floor laughing!! i go to a public school btw, same ones as Nick1048 goes too.... i like your piece on the politics and feel the same way with you... but i still would want my kids to go to them private schools....

cheers

P.s. someone asked if like a suburb of 1000 or whatever... nah we're not, we're located in the inner west of sydney, densely populated and to be exact.... our school is in Fairfield West :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)