• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why..? (1 Viewer)

synthesized

HSC
N/A
why would someone who:

is completely unsocial, is terrified of giving presentations, finds anything that requires teamwork to be painful, tries to avoid human contact as much as possible, never makes friends with anyone for more than five minutes, gives an impression of snobbery all the time, only works efficiently when completely alone, takes 1.5x as long as everyone else to learn new things and 3x as long to gain competent knowledge of them, cannot communicate their ideas and knowledge either because they refuse to or they do it too clumsily to make much sense, has a hard time concentrating for long periods on anything analytical,

do a Commerce degree??:confused:

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haven't you heard?

To typical <something> parents, Commerce is the new, easier to get into and more financially rewarding Medicine.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
way to go with the subtlety - but thats spot on. but in the description they were probably elements more related to international students from the aforementioned geographical area more than anything.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
True that... but I can think of plenty of local specimens which also fit those descriptions whom are doing Commerce :p

theone123

blue essence
HSC
bro, your describing me.... i reckon geting over that barrier is the hardest thing in my life.

synthesized

HSC
N/A
shit. this reeks so much. i dont know what to do. i cant possibly imagine anyone would want to hire me in the state im in right now. and there is nothing i can do about it either. i think i should throw my commerce degree in the bin and work as a bricklayer. :(

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
yeh commerce is a shitty degree - and being a bricklayer is far more important than being some paper-pusher in a cubicle.

HSC
N/A
synthesized said:
but what i want to know is is there any hope for such people? :bomb:
Join some societies at uni, get work experience, get out more. People change, you don't have to be stuck being the same person your entire life, especially if you're not happy with yourself.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
synthesized said:
but what i want to know is is there any hope for such people? :bomb:
Yes, there is!
Don't be afraid, you are not alone.
You don't need to make friends within 5 minutes.....even though I envy those who easily make friends. being unsociable doesn't mean there isn't hope. Just keep yourself occupied with some hobbies, don't need to join lots of clubs if you feel uncomfortable. Maybe try and know someone by asking them a question (even if you know the answer) such as what's the date (during class) or borrow a pen.... if you have one close friend then let them introduce you to some other friends they have. don't stay home all day using excuses like "i'm tired/lazy" (when you're not) if you feel that it's tiring to dealing with people outside then maybe just go for a walk by yourself, and you might feel better
and the reason why people choose commerce isn't always because they are sure they can be sociable enough to deal with the work they have to face later.
trust is also very important.... if you don't trust anyone/yourself then it's really hard to make any friends. even people wanting to be friends with you can sense the barrier you/they set up and misinterpret that as you being snobby/insincere/cocky....etc
even if you are "naturally" introverted it can change overtime. there are people who were once quiet, shy, and felt as if they were not able to connect/relate to anyone around them (perhaps of weight problems, background, abuse, environmental change during childhood...etc) but later in life they could become extroverted and really talkative. just don't make yourself believe that it's impossible to be appreciated and perhaps those "negative" traits could be seen as positive to some people? what one sees in him/herself is often quite biased, sometimes all the person needs is a bit of confidence and hopefully this will not diminish over time

tlodg

HSC
N/A
secret said:
You can enhance them by communicating with people -making new friends. Just because you don't have those personal qualities today, doesn’t mean you cannot improve on them. Try harder to better yourself firstly by communicating frequently with others -this will improve your self confidence.

what if communicating frequently makes me feel worse about myself? (for example I keep thinking I said/did something inappropriate after interacting)
I always feel as if I have given a bad 1st, 2nd impression on people

tlodg

HSC
N/A
synthesized said:
shit. this reeks so much. i dont know what to do. i cant possibly imagine anyone would want to hire me in the state im in right now. and there is nothing i can do about it either. i think i should throw my commerce degree in the bin and work as a bricklayer. :(
I'm also curious why you feel that way. Is it because you have very few friends? Are you constantly blamed and hardly ever complimented on? Do you feel misunderstood? Do you feel unloved?

Don't give up on your degree, who knows it might actually fit you the best!

tlodg

HSC
N/A
secret said:
Communicating frequently makes you feel worse about yourself? Ok, to a degree I am very similar to you tlodg. However, I couldn't care if I had left a good impression on someone, unless it was significant -such as a job interview. If I was to go around making sure I left good impressions on everybody I spoke too -I would quickly wear out as an individual.

It's excellent to meet new people and gain friendships, but in all honesty, there will be people that you will fail to get along with -some times this may be the result of a personality clash, maybe the person doesn’t like you cause you wear glasses or your fat -whatever the reason may be. It's impossible to make good impressions on everyone because @ the end of day people are fucking ignorant.

Doesn’t matter what you do, you will fail in leaving a good impression on some others. But, this doesn’t mean to say they had not heard you. Being heard as an individual is much more valuable then leaving a good impression on someone.

I would recommend you slowly withdraw from thinking you are leaving bad impressions on others -if you have left a bad impression on someone, I am sure they will let you know with counter argument/opinion.
true, it's really important to keep your own identity than to keep changing urself to meet others' expectations
thx for ur advice :)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
but what if you're a dead set wanker by nature?

and also, what about all those kids who suddenly do community service at the same time their teachers start telling them about umat and the subsequent interviews? are they being themselves?

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, working in a Commerce degree is much more exciting, challenging and interesting (apart from ur great remuneration)...... well to me it is :p

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
AppleXY said:
Also, working in a Commerce degree is much more exciting, challenging and interesting (apart from ur great remuneration)...... well to me it is :p
wow its really hard for you to not sound like a 16 year old

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)