• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Will the HSC marks and ATAR be severely affected by getting 0 for assessment? (1 Viewer)

mclericp

HSC
If the school assessment is 5%, that means overall it is 2.5/100 for the HSC marks.
Problem is, if a person gets 0 for that assessment, the maximum mark he/she can get is 97.5/100 right? But, how much will the 2.5 marks affect the atar for a notsohigh-scaling subject?

Will the loss of 2.5 marks(complete failure) of ONE assessment pull down the atar a lot?
How would the student work to redeem these 2.5 marks, as he is now 2.5 marks under everyone else who at least GOT A MARK.

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
The short response is no for the max mark of 97.5/100

This is because the marks you receive from school assessments aren't actually used in the calculation of HSC marks - only your ranks and the gaps between the ranks. If a person scores 0% in a 5% assessment and then goes on to lead the cohort (in other assessments) and eventually go into the HSC exams 1st in the cohort, whatever mark they get in the exam will be their HSC mark.

If you want to know more about how ATARs and HSC marks are calculated I strongly suggest you head over to the respective sub-forum and read about it there before asking more questions.

mclericp

HSC
ah that makes sense. i guess i m still a lot confused on how ATAR are calculated. So if someone were to get a 0% for an assessment but then went on and get 1st/2nd for that same subject for every assessment, trials, HSC, as well as getting a band5-6 for other subjects, the 2.5mark loss is nothing e?

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah. Don't think of all these school assessments as trying to gain the highest mark - save that for the HSC. All you're doing now is attempting to get the highest ranking possible for each of your subjects. This means coming first or having as small a gap as possible between you and first in terms of marks.

Don't think of it as marks lost either - its rank lost. If you (or said 'person') got 0% in an assessment, you are essentially last in the cohort if that was the first assessment. And even so, an assessment worth 5% is not a lot, considering the trials are weighted up to 40% in some subjects at my school. There's a video I'll see if I can link you to that explains this a whole lot better than I can.

mclericp

HSC
ah, so from the video, it seems that, even though a person may have come last in the cohort for assessment task 1, but if he/she gets 1st/2nd for every other assessment and HSC etc, the 'last position' technically never existed right? But to redeem the rank again, the person must work harder to recover the lost marks?
Thanks for the response, i never felt better.

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
The last position did exist, but the final rank is the only one used for the moderated assessment mark. Just means you have to work harder to get a higher ranking by the end of term 3. Remember - every assessment counts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)