• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Word limit 1500 words. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

macca1819

HSC
For this ABST 100 assessment, it was supposed to be 1500 words. I was worried about getting there, but in the end irionically went way over, with 1753 words. Will I be marked down for this?

Andi0390

HSC
I don't know what its like at Macquarie but at ANU there is generally a 10% lee-way. So if an essay was 1500 you could go 150 over or under, if you go over that 10% you lose 2% of marks every subsequent 10% I imagine yours would be something similar.

Begbie4017

HSC
It should say in your unit guide if there is a penalty.

But usually it is 10% either side of the word limit that is the most/least you can do.

macca1819

HSC
Well I worked out in my head that I've gone 16-17% over the word limit. So I guess I'll be penalised.

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i go over the word limit a lot, but so far i've never been penalized, so maybe if you are lucky enough your mark won't get deducted. in emergency situations i (although rarely) made font size 0.5 smaller than the required size and did some stuff to shrink double-space thingy. that worked also, but idk, some tutors would be stricter than others...

Peartie

HSC
either go through it and re-edit it down to 1650ish

or minimise the font

or just dont worry - they dont ask for word counts on the cover sheets anymore (at least in arts)....

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
For this ABST 100 assessment, it was supposed to be 1500 words. I was worried about getting there, but in the end irionically went way over, with 1753 words. Will I be marked down for this?
Don't you have better things to do than post new threads about the most mundane and straightforward things?

RohanZ

Pan fried Steak
HSC
Don't you have better things to do than post new threads about the most mundane and straightforward things?
This.

Just ask your tutor. There's usaully a 10% +- word limit allowance.

macca1819

HSC
Don't you have better things to do than go around being such a nasty bitch?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Don't you have better things to do than go around being such a nasty bitch?
Being nasty would be calling you a complete dipshit, who lacks any sense of direction, motivation or potential.

I'm merely asking why you complain about every little thing about university life, and then make threads about your inability to cope or handle being a non-spoon fed high school student.

PS. You're a complete dipshit who lacks any sense of direction, motivation or potential.

macca1819

HSC
Being nasty would be calling you a complete dipshit, who lacks any sense of direction, motivation or potential.

I'm merely asking why you complain about every little thing about university life, and then make threads about your inability to cope or handle being a non-spoon fed high school student.

PS. You're a complete dipshit who lacks any sense of direction, motivation or potential.
I don't care for your choice of words.

I have aright to complain, and how am I unable to cope, and how do I lack direction, motivation or potential?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Your multiple threads each placing the blame on everyone but yourself seems fairly consistent with the idea that you can't cope with reality. First it was the mentor's fault for not reading your mind, then it was the university's fault that they allowed people of the queer variety to have their own space, something your mind simply couldn't comprehend, and now we have attacks on tutorials and tutors, because of your inability to attend classes and/or participate in the discussions.

Need I continue?

And it's ok if you don't care for my choice of words, the truth hurts.

macca1819

HSC
Your multiple threads each placing the blame on everyone but yourself seems fairly consistent with the idea that you can't cope with reality. First it was the mentor's fault for not reading your mind, then it was the university's fault that they allowed people of the queer variety to have their own space, something your mind simply couldn't comprehend, and now we have attacks on tutorials and tutors, because of your inability to attend classes and/or participate in the discussions.

Need I continue?

And it's ok if you don't care for my choice of words, the truth hurts.
1. I didn't blame the mentor for anything.
2. I didn't complain about the queer space.
3. Tutorials, IMO, are a wate of time. I do participate in the discussions.

Please explain how you came to this conclusion.

X

xeuyrawp

Yeah okay I think this thread has died. I think the bottom line is that there's usually a +/- 10% rule. If you have any more questions, see your tutor.

Also, please see the announcement:
Whilst we're happy to help, a lot of university study is about first doing your own research and trying to find answers / figure things out for yourself.
In this case, noone but the marker of the paper can really answer the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)