• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Work Experience question (1 Viewer)

HSC
So this holidays i've decided i might do a few work experience stints in my chosen career...

Most places that offer work experience require you to provide your own insurance. Should i expect my university to pay, or am i supposed to be coughing up $150/week to do voluntary work for a company?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
If you're doing it on your own time (ie; this isn't something the university is making you do as part of your degree), of course you should expect to pay for it.

Acid

HSC
Must be a pretty dangerous job if you've gotta pay $150/week just for insurance! WTF!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i really wanted to work for legal aid these holidays... but the HR there told me to "organise your own insurance for personal accident, public liability, public Liability and professional indemnity for the duration of the placement"... i said, wtf?

but i think it would be best to negotiate it with them; you are still providing services to the work experience employer (even if it is unskilled labour). in my case, if i can do the same thing and get paid (ie, working in admin in a law firm), then why the hell should i want to pay for insurance, get paid nothing and still do the same work (working in admin in legal aid)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)