• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

work trial help! (1 Viewer)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I have one tomorrow. I've heard a lot of stuff about how there is 'no such thing' as an unpaid work trial but I'm going to do it anyway - it's only for a few hours, so it's probably not illegal + boss = migrant, probably not aware of laws anyway...

So anyone have any suggestions - it's a cafe place. I've never worked before :/ and I don't know very much about waitressing - I'm hoping to bluff my way through.

HSC
if youre there for just a trial and dont know anything, just focus on clearing and cleaning tables and taking the odd order.

if you have a touch screen, just write down the orders on a pad and hand it to other staff for them to put in, coz if it gets busy, they dont want to wait 10 minutes for you to find the 'flat white' button and then another 5 for the 'skim' button...i know this first hand :eek:

other tips:
- be friendly with customers...your 'heyyaz, cyaz, thank yaz..etc etc.'
- ask if they want anything else once youve picked up their empty coffee mug
- be sure you have ample sugar thingys in the sugar holders
- some customers may have different names for different coffees..eg muggacino = large cappacino, short black = espresso, skinny = skim milk

so yeah, just try to look relaxed (but not tooo relaxed or theyll think youre bludging) instead of tense and nervousy...

PS. ill be quiting mine soon :D..take THAT you homofag of a manager!
hooray for liquorland!!

Last edited:

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
cherryblossom said:
boss = migrant, probably not aware of laws anyway..
Not to throw a spanner in your enthusiasm-works, but I'd be worried already if I got that impression, considering you might have to deal long-term with these people... :eek:

That said, a few hours isn't too much of a problem -- just make sure it doesn't go on for ages longer than you expected.

Good Luck!

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Skittled said:
Not to throw a spanner in your enthusiasm-works, but I'd be worried already if I got that impression, considering you might have to deal long-term with these people... :eek:

That said, a few hours isn't too much of a problem -- just make sure it doesn't go on for ages longer than you expected.

Good Luck!
yeah. I know, I have another trial somewhere else. I'm considering whether to bum off unpaid work at this one cafe to an unpaid trial at another....

Jess-a_belle

HSC
cherryblossom said:
yeah. I know, I have another trial somewhere else. I'm considering whether to bum off unpaid work at this one cafe to an unpaid trial at another....

hmmpf.... before i started work at my last job, at a cafe, i did a trial, 4 hours, and i was paid, $40-odd in accordance with the pay rates for my ages.
i would be wary.

HSC
it doesn't matter if the guy just flew over here from where ever or been here for 20 odd years, he has to follow the law and the law states that you must be paid for a job trial!!!

Good luck anyways.... But as someone else said, if you get that impression (that he don't know shit coz his a migrant) already then your better off running for the hills because you'll only get screwed over if your instincts are right!!!!

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Pink_Butterfly said:
it doesn't matter if the guy just flew over here from where ever or been here for 20 odd years, he has to follow the law and the law states that you must be paid for a job trial!!!

Good luck anyways.... But as someone else said, if you get that impression (that he don't know shit coz his a migrant) already then your better off running for the hills because you'll only get screwed over if your instincts are right!!!!
yeah well. a couple of other people didn't get paid for a few days when they started either. and they're training me, I don't know anything about anything, so yeah
I'm going to another work trial now hopefully they're not wankers as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)