• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Working ahead of class (1 Viewer)

daddywal

HSC
I'm in Year 11 and will start HSC in Term 4 this year. My plan for the term 3 holidays is to start early and finish a few topics in the business studies and economics course. Is this smart or am I just wasting time?

HSC
it worked well for me in maths but idk about subjects that are more memorisation heavy such as eco or business. I feel like u might tend to forget quite a lot of the content that you've learnt.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
If you have enough time during the holidays and would not be placing yourself under overwhelming pressure (for example, having to balance other commitments with this) I am generally supportive of such a strategy for two main reasons.

First, exploring the HSC course of these subjects in advance gives you an opportunity to learn the content and start making notes early. This allows you to identify any concepts that you either do not understand or are not fully confident with and seek clarification from your teacher once you cover those concepts in class and also makes class more of a revision session because you would be covering content that you have already learned (you still need to take them seriously). As you progress through year 12, you can make any necessary adjustments to your notes based on insights gained during class and feedback that you might receive from your teachers.

Second, this strategy can save you some time, which you can then allocate towards some of your other subjects where your performance may not be favourable (or at your desired standard). This is because, as I mentioned, the focus becomes on regularly revising the content (both during class and in your own time) and working on addressing areas of improvement, rather than being restricted to your class's schedule and having to learn content for the first time for the duration of the term.

With that being said, you should ensure that you cover a reasonable amount of content. Trying to learn the entire HSC course during the holidays is likely to be an ineffective approach for one subject, let alone two. Instead, you should prioritise your understanding of the content and work from there. For example, you may wish to consider exploring the Operations topic (or whichever topic your class will cover first) from the Business Studies HSC course during the holidays as a starting point.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)