• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

working christmas day? (1 Viewer)

HSC
is anyone else being forced to work christmas day? or new years eve/day?

i work at a video ezy... and we are open from 9am until 12am [midnight] EVERY day of the year... including christmas day, new years eve and new years day. yes... thats right... open until MIDNIGHT on NEW YEARS EVE!!

i worked that shift last year so i dont have to do it this year, but apparently everyone has to do atleast a 3 hour shift on christmas day... which sucks. especially since the owners wont let 'adults' work because they are too expensive... so all the young people have to do it. i originally was told id be doing the 9am-12pm [midday] open... which is ok... still home in time for chrissy lunch and dinner... but now it looks like im doing the 9-12am [midnight] close... because im the cheapest closer there is...

this sucks... it really does. and i'll have to doit, unless i can train one of the new guys to close [by himself] by then... i think i can do it... but still, it sucks. of all the people who know how to close, iv been there the longest... but because im the youngest, they all get the priveledge of not having to work... how wrong is that?!?!

it really does suck...

anyone else have stories or problems with being forced ot work christmas ay or new years eve?

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
i would love to work christmas day ! (the pay yay!)..but working new years eve sucks....chuck a sickie!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Nope, I work in retail, we're closed Xmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day.

Although, I work Xmas Eve until close (we're closing early, at 9) and NYE during the day.

kalli

HSC
i have to work xmas day AND new years day :( no party for me this year :( :(

at least i will be getting >$40 hour!!!

edit: OMG just found out today i dont get paid any extra for xmas day... no double time and a half for me!

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Well last year I work everything except christmas day itself. This ended up constituting 23 days work with no days off from the 18th dec.

This year my regular roster will have me on christmas eve and NYE the christmas roster isn't out yet but I expect I'll probably be on the public holidays...

Skeeta

HSC
if its only a 3 hr shift on xmas i could probably deal with it.. especially since my work is around the corner from my house BUT i'm gna be overseas for xmas PLUS new year but i doubt we are going to be open anyway

Gummy_bear

HSC
live_without_it said:
is anyone else being forced to work christmas day? or new years eve/day?

i work at a video ezy... and we are open from 9am until 12am [midnight] EVERY day of the year... including christmas day, new years eve and new years day. yes... thats right... open until MIDNIGHT on NEW YEARS EVE!!

i worked that shift last year so i dont have to do it this year, but apparently everyone has to do atleast a 3 hour shift on christmas day... which sucks. especially since the owners wont let 'adults' work because they are too expensive... so all the young people have to do it. i originally was told id be doing the 9am-12pm [midday] open... which is ok... still home in time for chrissy lunch and dinner... but now it looks like im doing the 9-12am [midnight] close... because im the cheapest closer there is...

this sucks... it really does. and i'll have to doit, unless i can train one of the new guys to close [by himself] by then... i think i can do it... but still, it sucks. of all the people who know how to close, iv been there the longest... but because im the youngest, they all get the priveledge of not having to work... how wrong is that?!?!

it really does suck...

anyone else have stories or problems with being forced ot work christmas ay or new years eve?
whos going to get a video out on christmas day?
even if your all alone, with no friends or family, would you go down to viedeo ezy to let the world know?
and, why not get a video the day before?
This is weird.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
my work is hoping to open boxing day.
I wouldnt mind working boxing day, as I can get drunk on christmas eve, as im going to family friends for lunch/dinner, then chrissy day, im going to another friends for lunch, and i wont mind only having one drink with lunch, as i will prob be in the pool if its a nice day, so I will happily work boxing day, as its usually a boring day at my place, just watching new dvd's and cleaning up wrapping paper and laying about etc. and its good my work is a 1min walk from wonoona beach, so if i work in the afternoon and its a nice day, i can go to the beach before work.
but im not sure about working new years day, as i have a huge night planned for NYE and last year i didnt get home till 9am new years day, after leaving the house at 8pm the previous night.
are cafes usually open new years day?

G

Gavvvvvin

Meh I have to work every day but christmas. if i had the opportunity to work christmas I would.

HSC
ill be working on christmas day coz sundays are my regular shifts.
but im sure ill be asked to work on xmas eve as well.

damn restuarants!! :mad:

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
I'm working on the 25th and 27th dec, as well as new years eve and 2nd jan (public hol). At least I'm not working new years day :) I'll be too hungover. I don't really wanna work all those public holidays but we're shortstaffed atm...so annoying

7th Sign

HSC
my sister has to work like 24,26,27,28,29 or some crazy shit lol

shes liek 16 aswell

she will be getting good money at least

I will be getting no money :(

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I thought casuals weren't meant to work more than 6 days straight?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Hahaha..I worked as a casual and work 16 days straight. Not fun. And half were nightshift too, as I was buggered at the end to say the least (my bank account wasn;t however ;)) But it was my choice, LOL.

I choose my work days and atm I'm decided which public holidays I want to work. Its good as NSW health picnic day is 29/12 so that whole week is almost all public holidays for me! w00t! LOL.

G

Gavvvvvin

I went 1 and a half months casual without a day off...those were they days :cool:

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
yea, I'm workin xmas eve and news years eve for 3 hours.

I dont mind.. it'll be quiet at big w.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
working X-mas eve and NYE, arent open boxing, new years day, or xmas

HSC
Ummm isn't there laws restricting the opening hours on Christmas day (even if you are in a high tourist area)? And even if there isn't - You can't be made to work on a public holiday - it's your right!!!
Speak to your union!!! (Or Industrial Relations)

kalli

HSC
Pink_Butterfly said:
Ummm isn't there laws restricting the opening hours on Christmas day (even if you are in a high tourist area)? And even if there isn't - You can't be made to work on a public holiday - it's your right!!!
Speak to your union!!! (Or Industrial Relations)
I signed an AWA... working public holidays for normal rate, no penalty rates for weekend/night work and minimal wages is the future for us all!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)