Working during uni (1 Viewer)

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Is working outside of uni a valuable extracurricular activity? I want to work part-time while achieving a range of extracurriculars and achieving an HD or D average (currently in my low 70s). Because of family reasons, we are thinking to sell our house and moving out. I'm thinking of doing delivery since it is casual so the schedule is pretty flexible. I've already joined a society, but because of covid, we couldn't attend the society on campus last year. So from now on, I'm trying to be active as much as possible. I'm also thinking of doing a case competition. But because I might have to work now, I don't know if I can achieve all of these goals anymore.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Working will enable you to gain experience, which is never a negative thing, and the specific skills that you will develop/enhance will depend on the tasks of the particular job (you mentioned delivery - I believe that time management would be a relevant skill that you will have an opportunity to work on in this particular case). Of course, relevant work experience, which can be gained by completing an internship program for instance, may be more beneficial since it specifically targets your field of study and can thus assist you with accessing graduate employment.

Additionally, it is important that you establish a balance between the job that you are currently thinking of undertaking and extracurricular activities, whether you are thinking of increasing your activity through the society that you have joined or by participating in a case competition. As I mentioned, you can gain work experience irrespective of the position and you should ensure that any extracurricular activities that you engage in don't interfere with your job. There is typically a point beyond which extracurricular activities would no longer benefit you since it would have already been established that you are an active and outgoing individual as you take part in extracurricular activities, such as the ones that you are interested in. A balanced approach to gaining work experience and participating in extracurricular activities will result in an individual who will likely be able to demonstrate qualities such as the following:
  • Experience
  • Versatility
  • Enthusiasm
  • Activeness/Involvement
I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)