• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

working hours? (1 Viewer)

CloudStrife

HSC
hey, this mite be a dumb question but still need to its know answer...

I want to know if there's a limit to the number of hours a full time student can work(be employed) per week? I used to know some guy in high school who apparently did like 40 hrs of maccas a week, but I'm not sure if there's a code/act stating a limit...?

I just started a casual position and my employer asked me if I knew anything about some 20 hours maximum work hours for a full time student, but I was totally clueless...
Any help would be appreciated please.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i'll be working more than 20 hrs once uni starts again.

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
CloudStrife said:
if I knew anything about some 20 hours maximum work hours for a full time student
don't think so. many times I've ended up with more than that in a week (30 hrs sometimes) and there's never been a problem...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
iambored said:
that's a heap
its really just weekends, and a about 3 nights during the weekdays, and also probably about 3-5 hrs of tutoring.

edit: in a week where i would work the most:
14 hrs on weekend.
12 hrs during weekdays.
4 hrs tutoring.
= 30 hrs

i ojnly have 14 hrs of uni, even though its full time.

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
redruM said:
its really just weekends, and a about 3 nights during the weekdays, and also probably about 3-5 hrs of tutoring.

edit: in a week where i would work the most:
14 hrs on weekend.
12 hrs during weekdays.
4 hrs tutoring.
= 30 hrs

i ojnly have 14 hrs of uni, even though its full time.
that's still so much!! even with 14hrs uni you have to do work at some time, good on you for keeping everything together! i wish i could do that

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
lol, keeping it together?

i didnt do that thru last semester. i worked about 10, sometimes 15 hrs a week. but did no work in my "spare" time. so i'm going to try to use it by earning some money. i am very lazy when it comes to doing study-related work. its disapointing really. :(

oh well, gotta keep workin away at it, excuse the pun :p

CloudStrife

HSC
i wasn't planning to work 20 hours during uni time....still got 2 weeks b4 next semester starts.....i think my employer just needed to know in case they needed extra staff or how many hours to let me do...

thanks for your help!

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
How many hours does everyone think is manageable. Other than work I would need to go to University two days a week (14 hours), do Uni work at home, sport, and have a bit of free time as well. On the Coles Myer application form I selected the 16-24 hours option, do you think that is too much:confused:?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Merethrond said:
How many hours does everyone think is manageable. Other than work I would need to go to University two days a week (14 hours), do Uni work at home, sport, and have a bit of free time as well. On the Coles Myer application form I selected the 16-24 hours option, do you think that is too much:confused:?
coles myer christmas casual? no that's not too much as you'll be on holidays

if not, i still don't think it's too much because they will not give you the hours you want, they will pick and choose and they like someone who is flexible

crazylilmonkee

HSC
i work bout 17 hours a week and go to uni 14 hrs a wk.. i think im gonna cut down the shifts.. cos it was 4 days a wk at uni and 3 days at work.. got so tired of it

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
iambored said:
coles myer christmas casual? no that's not too much as you'll be on holidays

if not, i still don't think it's too much because they will not give you the hours you want, they will pick and choose and they like someone who is flexible
Yeah, it was the "Christmas Recruitment Drive 2004", but I will be working after the holidays too, that is if I can. Do I have to leave after the Christmas Holidays:confused:?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Perhaps the employer was confused because international students on a study visa can only work 20 hours per week. Aussies can work as much as they please.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
from wed night till sunday, i will have worked 37 hours. *tired...9 hrs shift today*

Last edited:

SipSip

HSC
N/A
I think i normally avg around 20 hrs per weekend....but once i manage 40 hrs from fri to sun afternoon....i was pretty darn screwed after that...
i think the 20 hr thing only applies to people with study visas....

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
if you have yourself down as a casual, the maximum number of hours you can work is 20. If you want more youd have to be down as part-time

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
"When" I get the job I applied for... :)
I'm gunna work bout 17 hours a week...
Anything more and it'll be too hard 2 keep up wif uni work...
And civil engineers get a shitload of it :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)