working to uni standard (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ok, im starting to pack myself, coz ive been thinking about my work and how it would compare to uni standards...
like, ive never even had to reference anything in my whole life, yet i was at the uni one day for the shadowing program, and the tutor was going off coz everyone referenced wrong...i dont know how to reference at all
so once i get to uni, will there be courses i can take on referencing, doing assignments, all that kinda stuff that will bring me to uni standards?

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
We didn't get any help learning how to set out assignments and stuff. although apparently some peopel at different UNIs had like a seminar thing early in the semester to help.
We weren't really told how to reference, we just got given a very outdated and sketchy guide that proved incredibly unhelpful! I actually did it wrong on my first assignment, and did lose quite a few marks over it, but I soon figured it out. It also took me a couple assignments til I stopped making mistakes with presentations and stuff, but most lecturers are pretty understanding about it, cos everyone is making similar mistakes. They may take marks off, but you're not going to get thrown out of UNI cos you forgot to double space or typed in the wrong font.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
yeah, im not worrying about being kicked out, but i just need to do incredibly well in first year so i can transfer into my desired course, so i cant afford to lose marks for stupid mistakes for things i should know how to do

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
i got a good little book from the uni book fair:

Anderson, Durston, Poole 1970. Thesis and assingment writing.

This book was very helpful with writing lab reports where referencing was needed

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah at usyd they offer courses through the student centre about essay writing and stuff, and they are mostly free i think. For me, we were told how to set things out, how to reference properly etc, and for our lab reports and stuff we were able to access samples to copy the layout and stuff from.
We were also given classes (as part of our timetable) on how to access materials in the library etc. Dont stress too much, i know for larger classes like biology they have a special resource room where you can go and get help on assignments, labs and exam preparation.
There's plenty of help available for you, so dont stress too much.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
do they do that stuff in o-week at mac in the afternoons? otherwise what do they do in the afternoons?

anyway, i am also worried, i don't think i can write well enough and it's probably the top 1/2 of the state who are at uni!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
We are told to follow the Harvard style of referencing - they provide examples and weblinks to us as a guide to follow

As a side note, improper referencing costs u valuable marks, cos they are strict about it - I forgot to list my sources in alphabetical order in an assignment and I lost 1 mark out of 20 for that =/

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
lol thats harsh for not putting it in order :p they should just put a comment.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
usually tutors. though some lecturers are tutors also.

Dingo

Banned
god dammit
my friend is a tutor, tutor 1st year uni peepz.. and hes a 2nd year student..
and hes the type to accept bribes
LOL

oeace^^

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
in my experience, tutors who are students are more likely to be 'generous' markers than lecturers

sunny

meh.
HSC
.......and give more details on how to do an assignment that they've done before :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)