workout questions (1 Viewer)

kaveman..

HSC
hey guys i've been working out for about 4 months now, i've always been on the skinny side (63 kgs atm with 5'8 height) and only starting out really so got a few questions

1. wats a good weight increase per month i shud be aiming at? i've put on about 4 or 5 kgs in the 4 months which really isnt a lot, but there was a 2 month break in between where i lost around 2 kgs.

2. so far i've really neglected my legs coz theyve always been pretty chunky and strong (soccer ftw), its just my upper body thats needed some work. however i read on some thread that working out legs helps upper body development coz of some hormone shit, is this true? any scientific source for this?

3. also, i've got really long forearms for some random reason, much longer than wat they shud be proportionate to my height, and so my forearms look pretty skinny. so any tips on how to pump them up (flexors and extensors exercises?)

4. lastly, i'm vegetarian. i am taking about 30 grams of protein powder to try and supplement myself and drinking about a litre of milk a day, but i'm still worried i'm not getting enough protein in my normal diet. for my weight (63 kgs) how much protein shud i be getting to be able to notice gains every month or two?

thanks for the help​

NinjaSauce

HSC
kaveman.. said:
hey guys i've been working out for about 4 months now, i've always been on the skinny side (63 kgs atm with 5'8 height) and only starting out really so got a few questions

1. wats a good weight increase per month i shud be aiming at? i've put on about 4 or 5 kgs in the 4 months which really isnt a lot, but there was a 2 month break in between where i lost around 2 kgs.​

At your bodyweight, weight is weight, and will be good for you in all forms.

kaveman.. said:
2. so far i've really neglected my legs coz theyve always been pretty chunky and strong (soccer ftw), its just my upper body thats needed some work. however i read on some thread that working out legs helps upper body development coz of some hormone shit, is this true? any scientific source for this?
I haven't met or seen you, but you are probably within the realm of a lot of gym goes who DRASTICALLY over-estimate their leg size. At 63kg, for you to have large thighs would be something to marvel at. Tape measure them. 30" = huge. I out-weigh you by 45kg, and i am about to start a squat cycle to build my legs. Around the middle of my thigh, i am 27/28 inches.
Anyways, your legs are your 'pillars of strength'. They connect you to the world, they help drive anything and everything you can physically do. Squats are not just a 'leg' exercise. Its Quads, hamstrings, glutes, lowerback, upper back.

As for the 'hormone shit', i'll try and keep it simple (or i even bore myself), The more weight/stress you use, the more the body will over-compensate with muscle growth. There is no exercise around that uses more weight than the squat.

Also, 10 seconds of Google time (which i wish people would do more often):
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_4_19/ai_104682197
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=111885861
http://www.bodybuildingweb.net/blog/squats-deadlifts-and-release-of-testosterone-and-growth-hormone/

kaveman.. said:
3. also, i've got really long forearms for some random reason, much longer than wat they shud be proportionate to my height, and so my forearms look pretty skinny. so any tips on how to pump them up (flexors and extensors exercises?)
Bodyweight. That will help your forearms. At your weight, you shouldn't be thinking of isolation.
Bar that, anything which will involve your grip - deadlifts are nice. But no one likes to do them. then is just comes down to experience. By experience, i mean, pay you dues in the gym, sling around some dumbbells, put on weight, at they will come.

kaveman.. said:
4. lastly, i'm vegetarian. i am taking about 30 grams of protein powder to try and supplement myself and drinking about a litre of milk a day, but i'm still worried i'm not getting enough protein in my normal diet. for my weight (63 kgs) how much protein shud i be getting to be able to notice gains every month or two?
You need at least 200g a day. I would recommend 250 minimum though.
But there is something just as important as protein... Calories. You take calories away to loose weight, so it only makes sense to eat them to put on weight. Are you a true vegetarian; or do you eat eggs/chicken or fish too? (some people do)

Nat3skiz

HSC
You get the best protein from meats, fish and eggs etc so being a vegetarian sets you back a bit, as supplements aren't as good as the real thing. Ninja is right (as usual), you need to consume alot of calories for weight gain. You may be working out alot and hard but this will really only show when your diet is up to scratch for what you want to achieve. Can't stress enough the importance of diet.

kaveman..

HSC
thanks fellas, yeh i do eat eggs but no chicken/fish. but with eggs theres only about 5 or 6 grams of protein per egg and its not really healthy to eat more than 4 or 5, at most 6 per day, which isnt a lot of protein if u add it all up.

thats mainly why i'm trying to chug as much milk as i can, and i'm thinking of increasing the protein powder to 50 grams a day. but even then, 200 g of protein a day would be extremely hard for me to get.

and as for the leg exercises, the problem is i've never squatted before and dont have anyone to spot me, so would individual exercises on leg machines (e.g. leg press) work? or should i just get the technique right with low weights and squat without a spotter?

same with deadlifts, hardly anyone does them at the gym i go to (unsw gym) so i've barely ever seen them done properly, so its hard to get a look at correct technique etc. so do u guys think i should just have a go with low weights and get the technique myslef?

Pace_T

HSC
im your height and was at your weight about a month ago. i also lose weight if i dont exercise. i think you should aim for about half a kilo a week at the minimum and maximum 1 kilo. im currently 69 and on the up. i suggest you use a bulk protein (with the carbs etc in it that way you're (probably) ectomorphic body will gain weight more easily, but dont substitute it for a proper diet!)
as for forearms, well my forearms would be my highlight and i never did a single forearm exercise lol, the idea itself sounds so stupid unless youre aiming for olympia hehe. my routine is entirely at home and i have no spotter. i only use barbells and dumbells and this is the way my forearms naturally develop.

NinjaSauce

HSC
kaveman.. said:
thanks fellas, yeh i do eat eggs but no chicken/fish. but with eggs theres only about 5 or 6 grams of protein per egg and its not really healthy to eat more than 4 or 5, at most 6 per day, which isnt a lot of protein if u add it all up.
Yeah... this is old science.
*I say as i finish off an 8 egg supper*

kaveman.. said:
thats mainly why i'm trying to chug as much milk as i can, and i'm thinking of increasing the protein powder to 50 grams a day. but even then, 200 g of protein a day would be extremely hard for me to get.
The woes of vegetarianism. Its your sacrifice! I am not vegetarian, so i am limited on my advice, but i do know that there are plenty of vegetarian bodybuilding sites on the net, so look them up.

kaveman.. said:
and as for the leg exercises, the problem is i've never squatted before and dont have anyone to spot me, so would individual exercises on leg machines (e.g. leg press) work? or should i just get the technique right with low weights and squat without a spotter?
We are not asking you to set a world record, pick a light weight. Start with the bar. And ask someone, even a trainer (you train at UNSW gym, the gym staff there will happily spot you... just, ya know, don't ask all the time. You can also ask anyone around who doesn't look half-retarded.).

Also, next to the squat rack (the one with a mirror) is a power-cage (it is black, and has the gym's pull up bar attached), set up the supports on it to just below your squat depth, and if you fail you have a catch.

kaveman.. said:
same with deadlifts, hardly anyone does them at the gym i go to (unsw gym) so i've barely ever seen them done properly, so its hard to get a look at correct technique etc. so do u guys think i should just have a go with low weights and get the technique myslef?
Were you training here last year? Ever see a guy absolutely hogging the platform with deadlifts? Thats me! :) I won't be training at UNSW this semester though. Timetable makes it better to train closer to home.

Also, similar advice as the squat. Start light. UNSW has full size bumpers plates (the big colourful ones next to the platform) so grab a green (10kg) put it on each side, and deadlift 40kg. When that is comfortable, move up. Everyone was a beginner at some point on all lifts.

Last edited:

Nat3skiz

HSC
kaveman.. said:
but with eggs theres only about 5 or 6 grams of protein per egg and its not really healthy to eat more than 4 or 5, at most 6 per day, which isnt a lot of protein if u add it all up.
research that, i think you'll find you're quite mistaken.

NinjaSauce

HSC
Ahh, see Kaveman, We thought you were talking about the 80s scare of "OMG! Egg Cholesterol!! Run away!" (which is all wrong by-the-way)

But... all you are talking about is calories?

Calories are not good. Calories are not bad. They are just a measurement. Some people need more, and some people need less.

80 calories an egg? pfft. As i stated earlier, i eat around 8 a day. So... 640 calories? They isn't really a lot. Especially for me. I have to add an avocado, and 3 pieces of toast to make that a meal.

Anf the fat? So what... 5 grams? 5 grams is nothing. 5 x 8? 40 grams of fat?

YOU NEED TO EAT FAT. HUMANS ARE DESIGNED TO CONSUME IT. Everyone needs a high fat diet, especially if they want healthy joints.

What you need to worry about are:

1. Total calories. To lose weight, eat less than you need. Vice-versa to gain.
2. Protein. For many the reason.
3. Carbs. These are the big fat builder. Yes, you need some. But a lot is bad mojo.

'low fat' and 'no fat' diets are soooooo out-dated it isn't funny.

Last edited:

Nat3skiz

HSC
The eggs that i eat come in at about 13.2grams protein per serving which is awesome after a workout. Have a few and add milk or a shake(oats banana etc) and the recovery is awesome. When i was sick after my knee operation a year ago i was eating alot of salad and neglected the meat and fats part of my diet and i found i felt alot weaker without this in my diet(though my insides felt awesome).
I definitely recommend them.

kaveman..

HSC
yeh thanks ninja, sorta clears that up. and anyway to avoid the cholesterol i could always just throw out the yellows, its the white that has the protein.

and nat3skiz, what brand egg is this? i'm def interested

NinjaSauce

HSC
Eggs lower cholesterol.

The Yolk contains just as much protein as the whites. They also contain most of the nutrients in the egg.

There is no justifiable reason the eat only the egg white. You eat the eggs white as a bonus to the yolk.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

Seriously people. You are all living in bad science. Humans need fat. Cholesterol helps all your body parts run BETTER.

------------------

Kave,

Nat3skiz said it has 13.2 grams of protein PER SERVING. Per serving for eggs is 2 eggs (typically). So there is around 6.6 grams of protein in each of the eggs he buys. That is nothing unusual, most large or extra large eggs have that.

------------------

Another, more 'real life' question:

- Are you really so wussy, and anal to methodically remove the yolks?
Seriously, suck it up princess...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
c'mon ninjasauce calm down, alot of ppl are scared about egg cholesterol and remove the yolks, you don't have to make it personal :rolleyes:

but kaveman in all seriousness, egg cholesterol is overrated- most of the cholesterol in the body is produced by the liver, so any food sources of cholesterol aren't going to make all that much of a difference- i guess your main concern would be (or rather, should be) in terms of low density fats which clog up your arteries and cause strokes and heart attacks. Trust me on this one :)

from what you've mentioned, it seems that you've got a couple of things going against you- one you're a vegetarian, two you have a very active lifestyle burning off calories by playing soccer, and three your daily protein intake is pretty much negligible.

i should say kudos to you for being a vegetarian it's definitely more healthy for you and better for the environment, however this also means that it's going to be much much harder to get the daily protein intake you need to grow muscle and you're going to have to make that extra effort. In fact the minimum you'll see recommended is a gram per pound (or 2.2 grams per kilogram) so even with the massive amount of milk you're currently drinking you still need to get protein from other sources. I know it's pretty hard but your stomach gets used to it over time. I've been drinking the same amount in my protein shakes with 12 heaped tablespoons daily (around 120g), PLUS added oatmeal, bananas and dextrose/maltodextrin (for the calories), so although I understand it's pretty tough going, I know it's definitely possible. I used to think that I ate alot but really in order to gain weight I had to stuff myself crazy (with healthy foods of course) and work out- so before while I had a BMI of 19 or so now it's around 25 :)

Good luck with your training!

kaveman..

HSC
lol ninja, when its 2 or 3 eggs i eat the whole thing man, but i mean ur talking about 8 eggs/day so in that case, based on wat i'd read before, i had reservations about eating so many yellows. but yeh, after reading that site it shows only 57% of the protein is in the white, as well as alot of the nutrients, so yeh i'll def be eating all the yellows.

and inasero, yeh thanks for the advice man. for the past few week i have been stuffing myslef crazy (about 2 litres of milk now), much more than my regular diet, and have put on about 1.5 kg as well (64.5 measured today), and alot of the muscle is noticeable along the arm and the pecs, and of course evident at the gym when lifting heavier weights so as long as i dont hit a plateau too soon results should be good.

i'm mainly aiming to get to around 70-72 kgs, i rekon thats a healthy weight for my height, but of course trying to make sure not too much fat gets put on.

Nat3skiz

HSC
kaveman.. said:
i'm mainly aiming to get to around 70-72 kgs, i rekon thats a healthy weight for my height, but of course trying to make sure not too much fat gets put on.
its inevitable you may put on some fat but most of the weight you put on will be muscle. You can burn the fat off at a later date if it troubles you.
Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)