• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

World Youth Day 08 (1 Viewer)

WYD08

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reyn Reyn

HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
Because you idiotic Jesusfreaks clog up my city and then SUPPRESS MY RIGHT TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

THAT'S WHY

YOU TAKE OUR MONEY, YOU CLOG UP THE FUCKING CITY AND THEN YOU SILENCE US.

Get.

Fucked.

Sincerely yours,

Sydney
excuse you,
who said it was YOUR city?
are you paying for all the buildings, shopping centers, roads and everything the city contains in it.

silence you?
well with all due respect,
you're not being silenced,
right now, what are you doing?
saying what you "believe" in.
who said we're stopping you from doing so?

and stop with your swearing, you do know there's something called "proper english" .. and to think your an adult... apsshh

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Reyn Reyn said:
and stop with your swearing, you do know there's something called "proper english" .. and to think your an adult... apsshh
*you're

Fuck I love it when people go on about proper English (with a capital E) and then don't know which words to use.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Australia: Property of the Catholic Church

thou shalt not annoy on Youth Day

Causing a stir .... Pope Benedict XVI.

EXTRAORDINARY new powers will allow police to arrest and fine people for "causing annoyance" to World Youth Day participants and permit partial strip searches at hundreds of Sydney sites, beginning today.

The laws, which operate until the end of July, have the potential to make a crime of wearing a T-shirt with a message on it, undertaking a Chaser-style stunt, handing out condoms at protests, riding a skateboard or even playing music, critics say.

Police and volunteers from the State Emergency Service and Rural Fire Service will be able to direct people to cease engaging in conduct that "causes annoyance or inconvenience to participants in a World Youth Day event".

People who fail to comply will be subject to a $5500 fine.

The president of the NSW Bar Association, Anna Katzmann, SC, described the regulations as "unnecessary and repugnant".

The Greens MP Lee Rhiannon said if someone exposed themselves in public, they faced a fine of only $1100 or six months' jail under the Summary Offences Act.

"So if someone flashes a WYD participant they will face a $1100 penalty but if they wear an anti-Catholic T-shirt they could face a $5500 penalty," she said.

A police source said causing an "annoyance or inconvenience" was a highly subjective offence. A police lawyer would define it in layman's terms for operational use by officers.

Civil libertarians said they had never seen anything like the new powers and believed they are more extreme and broader in scope than those used during last year's APEC summit and the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

But the State Government said "World Youth Day is a happy and positive celebration of youth" and "no additional or 'APEC-like' police powers have been granted under the World Youth Day regulations".

The Catholic Church denied it had called for such powers.

The regulations were quietly gazetted by the Deputy Premier, John Watkins, on Friday afternoon and apply to more than 40 city locations, including museums, galleries and cinemas, as well as Darling Harbour, the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge, Randwick Racecourse and parklands.

More than 500 schools across Sydney and 35 train and bus stations have also been listed as "declared areas". People entering them will be subject to vehicle and baggage searches that require them to remove jackets, gloves, shoes and headwear if requested. "Reasonable force may be used to effect the person's exclusion" if they do not permit the search, the regulations stipulate.

The Government's World Youth Day spokeswoman, Kristina Keneally, said "bag checks are a sensible safety precaution which any young person who is going to a major event in Australia … would expect". Everyone had the right to protest so long as it was "peaceful and lawful".

The president of the NSW Council of Civil Liberties, Cameron Murphy, said the broad meaning of "causes annoyance" had the potential to encompass any activity. "This sort of amendment is extreme, unnecessary and is likely to escalate conflict when officers issue directions," he said. "People are going to be unaware that they have the power to do this and will find themselves in court facing an enormous fine."

Ms Katzmann said: "The mere presence in the vicinity of a person wearing the apparel or insignia of another religion might be annoying or inconvenient to a participant in a World Youth Day event."

Ms Rhiannon said the regulations were about "shutting down protests and quarantining the Pope and visiting Catholics away from messages World Youth Day authorities don't approve of".

Last edited:

WannaBang?

HSC
Re: Australia: Property of the Catholic Church

HAHAHA! You can't ride a skateboard?

Honeslty, this shit is just absolutely mind boggling. How do we assess whether something is annoying or not?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

You know, for a toy store, Big W doesn't sell many dildos.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

Slidey said:
You know, for a toy store, Big W doesn't sell many dildos.
they'd probably offend the older demographic... with whom those vibrating back massagers are more popular than they should be

this country needs a bill of rights or something to stop these random excessive police powers being granted at every possible opportunity

WannaBang?

HSC

zimmerman8k said:
I was so furious reading this. Can't really express it in words. I feel so frustrated but there's nothing I can do.
Yep, I feel your pain. But honestly, is this type of a strategy going to sway people from engaging in "annoying" bahaviour, or is it going to encourage them?

I say encourage.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

Its a bit unfair that people who want to promote their views wont be allowed to i.e. the importance of safe sex and respect for homosexuality yet those promoting their views on world youth day can because they are religious.

I am all for respect for other's beliefs but this is a bit unfair.

Despite the govt. urging people that work in the city to consider not going into work, I will be. Despite the inconvenience it will cause me, I am going in because I need the money and I think its unfair for us to be expected to give up work for the week.

Its just a little frustrating how much money is being spent on this when hospitals and public education are in such bad shape...I am not against idea of world youth day but I think we shouldnt be expected to contribute so much.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I tell myself it's OK because

a) It'll actually be quite good for the economy
2) C'mon, it could be worse. It could be that many protestants gathering together in one spot.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Slidey said:
I tell myself it's OK because

a) It'll actually be quite good for the economy
2) C'mon, it could be worse. It could be that many MUSLIMS gathering together in one spot.
eft

Evilo

HSC

melsc said:
Its a bit unfair that people who want to promote their views wont be allowed to i.e. the importance of safe sex <snip> yet those promoting their views on world youth day can because they are religious.
agreed (with edit)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
There's a lot of money going into it.

And how many people are actually coming? I keep hearing that estimates are way out.

beccygoddess

HSC
IAWTC- how much money are these pilgrims really going to spend? It's not like they have to pay for accommodation, or food, or transport (it all comes with signing up). All they really need to pay for is getting here. I can't help that think that we are going to be spending a lot more money then we'll get back

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Bah! You petty little cogs.
/The economy is everything /Does not materially benifit /Does not compute /Exterminate
/exterminate.

I was bemoaning the plans to humiliate the Pope (mainly because they arent funny) but the regs do raise an eyebrow or two

beentherdunthat

HSC
dont trample me you crazy people! it better be tame otherwise i will tame your asses. :eek:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
The event lasts a week, right? In terms of tourism and popularity it brings to Australia, I'm personally extremely confident it will more than pay for itself both in terms of raw economic gain but also the connections/ties it should form. Actually, mostly the latter. Similar to an event like the Olympics but on a smaller scale.

Katie: lol. Quite true.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Thou shalt not annoy on Youth Day

EXTRAORDINARY new powers will allow police to arrest and fine people for "causing annoyance" to World Youth Day participants and permit partial strip searches at hundreds of Sydney sites, beginning today.
The laws, which operate until the end of July, have the potential to make a crime of wearing a T-shirt with a message on it, undertaking a Chaser-style stunt, handing out condoms at protests, riding a skateboard or even playing music, critics say.
Police and volunteers from the State Emergency Service and Rural Fire Service will be able to direct people to cease engaging in conduct that "causes annoyance or inconvenience to participants in a World Youth Day event".
People who fail to comply will be subject to a $5500 fine.
The president of the NSW Bar Association, Anna Katzmann, SC, described the regulations as "unnecessary and repugnant".
The Greens MP Lee Rhiannon said if someone exposed themselves in public, they faced a fine of only $1100 or six months' jail under the Summary Offences Act.
"So if someone flashes a WYD participant they will face a $1100 penalty but if they wear an anti-Catholic T-shirt they could face a $5500 penalty," she said.
A police source said causing an "annoyance or inconvenience" was a highly subjective offence. A police lawyer would define it in layman's terms for operational use by officers.
Civil libertarians said they had never seen anything like the new powers and believed they are more extreme and broader in scope than those used during last year's APEC summit and the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
But the State Government said "World Youth Day is a happy and positive celebration of youth" and "no additional or 'APEC-like' police powers have been granted under the World Youth Day regulations".
The Catholic Church denied it had called for such powers.
The regulations were quietly gazetted by the Deputy Premier, John Watkins, on Friday afternoon and apply to more than 40 city locations, including museums, galleries and cinemas, as well as Darling Harbour, the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge, Randwick Racecourse and parklands.
More than 500 schools across Sydney and 35 train and bus stations have also been listed as "declared areas". People entering them will be subject to vehicle and baggage searches that require them to remove jackets, gloves, shoes and headwear if requested. "Reasonable force may be used to effect the person's exclusion" if they do not permit the search, the regulations stipulate.
The Government's World Youth Day spokeswoman, Kristina Keneally, said "bag checks are a sensible safety precaution which any young person who is going to a major event in Australia … would expect". Everyone had the right to protest so long as it was "peaceful and lawful".
The president of the NSW Council of Civil Liberties, Cameron Murphy, said the broad meaning of "causes annoyance" had the potential to encompass any activity. "This sort of amendment is extreme, unnecessary and is likely to escalate conflict when officers issue directions," he said. "People are going to be unaware that they have the power to do this and will find themselves in court facing an enormous fine."
Ms Katzmann said: "The mere presence in the vicinity of a person wearing the apparel or insignia of another religion might be annoying or inconvenient to a participant in a World Youth Day event."
Ms Rhiannon said the regulations were about "shutting down protests and quarantining the Pope and visiting Catholics away from messages World Youth Day authorities don't approve of".

source: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...formhtmlbpollba/2008/06/30/1214677946009.html

Fucking hell...

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Re: Thou shalt not annoy on Youth Day

fuck that.

fuck the goverment

fuck the police

smoke cones

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Re: Thou shalt not annoy on Youth Day

Let's rebel by handing out free condoms.

or riding a skateboard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)