Would anyone recommend the bachelor of developmental studies at newcastle (1 Viewer)

emilyh95

HSC
Hi, I have a good enough ATAR to get into both the bachelor of developmental studies at newcastle and bachelor of urban and regional planning at Armidale. The two courses are very different, and the Armidale course seems to be better, but I am a Newcastle local so it would be preferable to stay here if the course is ok. As a regional planner or someone who knows the course could anyone advise me of the quality of the developmental studies course?

emilyh95

HSC
I don't want a biased account, they just try to sell the course a bit, thanks though

Kat92

HSC
Your welcome! Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that has done that course otherwise I might have been able to pass some info on.

I hope it all works out in the end! :)

Kat92

HSC
I can provide you with a generalised perspective about Newcastle Uni:

There are a range of services to expand your skill set, provide financial support, living arrangements and provide an online learning environment. The staff and students are outgoing and willing to help in anyway possible.

The academic side-

Bridging courses can help with English, Mathematics and any other areas of concern, two world class libraries with a BONUS system to get books from any other Uni campus, an e-mail account that is yours for life, world class researchers, can complete honours/masters/phd/rhd, opportunities to participate as a research assistant in projects, and provide support to fellow students through practical experiences.

The social side-

A full refurbished outdoor cinema venue, two bars, a student mentoring service, outdoor settings for meeting new people, fortnightly market stalls (these are pretty cool), weekly competitions/discounts, the Forum for your sporting needs and barbeques held by Ucrew and NUSA.

UNE:

I know people that go to UNE as well and I have heard that it is also a great campus if you are heavy into looking at the uni ethos experience. Although, they have mentioned that at times the workload can become pretty intense! (Whereas Newcastle is a little more flexible in the scheme of things, i.e. you can complete as many or as little subjects as desired)

They have also mentioned that the campus layout is similar to that of colleges or those in Sydney and that it is a little less abundant in regards to vegetation in some areas.

Also there are Facebook pages for both Uni's where you can ask questions as a prospective student- this may help you in your decision!

Hopefully, that now gives you a little overview about some perspectives from both campuses. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)