• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Would being a medical negligence lawyer make you an arsehole?? (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
hmm

I was just browsing sub specialties of law and do find medical negligence/malpratice and general medical law highly interesting. However, i was wondering if most people view that area of legal practice as an unethical field. I have a profound respect for doctors and what they do (almost considered trying to become one at one stage) but would definately find working as a negligence lawyer interesting. Are these lawyers hated by the healthcare profession and are they generally arseholes, basing a career on helping clients sue their doctors.

Or would you consider it a respectable part of the legal profession as clients are owed the right under the law to be compensated for damages when a duty of care is breached and like anyone else, justice needs to be served against those who act carelessly (even if their career is based on saving lifes!!! lol)

what do u guys think?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Would you consider someone an arsehole for helping make someones life that little bit easier now that they're blind and in a wheel chair as a result of their doctors gross negligence?

I agree. Ari is going to be an ace lawyer. Maybe even good enough to get himself off for murdering a client over a $2 photocopying debt even though he just made a couple of grand out of someones misfortune.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
aMUSEd1977 said:
Being a lawyer makes you an arsehole.
Except for ari. I fucking love that guy.
lol thankyou for your useless reply :)

hahaha are u really 31 and still in yr 11???

That must be a joke

Last edited:

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Cookie182 said:
lol thankyou for your useless reply :)
Don't mind him, he needs a diaper change.

Re your OP, why wouldn't it be a respectable part of the legal profession? Of course if you're referring to the perceived actions of 'ambulance-chasers' you may have a point. But as ari89 was saying, patients have a right to compensation if they were wronged by a negligent doctor. I'm sure any guy would be looking for blood (so to speak) if their doctor accidently gave them a vasectomy instead of fixing their knee as stated in the correct paperwork.

miss-smexy

HSC
It's their job. Someone needs to do it. Since when has being a lawyer been considered the most ethical, likable profession? People need lawyers. And anyway, not all doctors are ethical - even though there are many out there who are.

Lawyers are respectable - depending on which side they're fighting for. But nevertheless, e.g. in criminal law, even if they are are defending something which is deemed by society as incorrect, every person should be allowed to tell their side of the story - and thats where the lawyers come in.

If you like that area, then go for it.

X

xeuyrawp

politik said:
Ask me if I think you should study a potentially life-changing field such as Science/Engineering/Social Sciences as opposed to Law.
.... Last time I checked, law is a social science, man.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
aMUSEd1977 said:
1977 is a number as well as a year ;)

Dumbfuck's anonymous is in room 122.
Well if its just a number how do u explain this in your public profile?

Date of Birth:
1 January, 1977

lol a little misleading...of course you may be making it up, but what do u expect me to think?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Cookie182 said:
Well if its just a number how do u explain this in your public profile?

Date of Birth:
1 January, 1977

lol a little misleading...of course you may be making it up, but what do u expect me to think?
Yeah quite a few of my trolls were also born on January 1. Could it be because its the fastest date to put in while making an account:p

K

katie_tully

politik said:
Ask me if I think you should study a potentially life-changing field such as Science/Engineering/Social Sciences as opposed to Law.
I'm asking..

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Cookie182 said:
hmm

I was just browsing sub specialties of law and do find medical negligence/malpratice and general medical law highly interesting. However, i was wondering if most people view that area of legal practice as an unethical field. I have a profound respect for doctors and what they do (almost considered trying to become one at one stage) but would definately find working as a negligence lawyer interesting. Are these lawyers hated by the healthcare profession and are they generally arseholes, basing a career on helping clients sue their doctors.

Or would you consider it a respectable part of the legal profession as clients are owed the right under the law to be compensated for damages when a duty of care is breached and like anyone else, justice needs to be served against those who act carelessly (even if their career is based on saving lifes!!! lol)

what do u guys think?
I would be ok unless you are suing me =P.
One of the big things is that the patients that want to sue are usually... well psychiatrically not the best state of health... and the ones that need to sue .. don't.

Im sure that there are true negligence and then there is being an ambulance chaser. if u can do the former I think you would be held in high regard and the latter if u want to be a c*nt/pr*ck/goat-ass f*cker.. cos lawyers tend to be unpleasant esp when they do not truly understand the subjectivity of clinical medicine.

at the end of the day.. its a job.. lawyers and doctors make $$ from misfortune.. but doctors seem to make it look good

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

Perfect example;
That couple who miscarried in the toilets at a Sydney Hospital. Everybody was so sympathetic to their plight and the media made it out to be a shit storm and as such made them think they had a case in the courts. But if you read the official report into what happened that night you'll see that theyre just irrational morons who used the media to play on everybodys heart strings.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Perfect example;
That couple who miscarried in the toilets at a Sydney Hospital. Everybody was so sympathetic to their plight and the media made it out to be a shit storm and as such made them think they had a case in the courts. But if you read the official report into what happened that night you'll see that theyre just irrational morons who used the media to play on everybodys heart strings.
Where can I find a copy of the report? Who wrote the official report? Could it possibly be a biased account that made them look like irrational morons? I've seen enough of things that it doesn't surprise me either way if it was the hospital's fault or if they were being morons, or both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)