Would i be able to do a bachelor of Laws and postgrad med after? (1 Viewer)

4lulai

HSC
This is pretty much a hypothetical question but, would i be able to successfully get offered a doctor of medicine (after completing the GAMSAT ofc) even if my bachelors was an LLB?

I seriously dont know what to choose between. Ive been contemplating being a lawyer or dermatologist for a very long time and i dont know what i want to choose. Realistically speaking, i wont get the 99.95 atar so im probably going to have to do postgrad med. My thought process is i would complete an LLB and by the time I complete it, i would have the choice to either pursue a career with my LLB or go into postgrad medicine. This whole thing might sound dumb but I honestly don't know if there are any prerequisite units that one has to take to be eligible for an MD. Even if this was possible, do medical schools favour stem degrees over humanities degrees for an MD? If this isn’t possible, i was also thinking about maybe doing a science/Law degree to meet the requirements. Is this a more realistic option? If not, what are some examples of double degrees i could do?

liamkk112

HSC
This is pretty much a hypothetical question but, would i be able to successfully get offered a doctor of medicine (after completing the GAMSAT ofc) even if my bachelors was an LLB?

I seriously dont know what to choose between. Ive been contemplating being a lawyer or dermatologist for a very long time and i dont know what i want to choose. Realistically speaking, i wont get the 99.95 atar so im probably going to have to do postgrad med. My thought process is i would complete an LLB and by the time I complete it, i would have the choice to either pursue a career with my LLB or go into postgrad medicine. This whole thing might sound dumb but I honestly don't know if there are any prerequisite units that one has to take to be eligible for an MD. Even if this was possible, do medical schools favour stem degrees over humanities degrees for an MD? If this isn’t possible, i was also thinking about maybe doing a science/Law degree to meet the requirements. Is this a more realistic option? If not, what are some examples of double degrees i could do?
they don't favour a particular degree over another, the gamsat test (the one u take for admission into postgrad med) tests written communication, humanties + social sciences and biological + physical sciences anyway, so arguably for law you'd have a strong background in 2/3 of those categories. besides that you just need to hit the gpa requirement, so provided you do well in a law degree there's nothing stopping you from transferring to postgrad med

also, you don't need 99.95 atar for med unless if you're gunning for usyd for whatever reason (a med degree at any uni is as good as any other) - e.g. wsu has 95.5+ (93.5+ if u live in western sydney), newcastle has 94.3+ (or 91.4+ if rural), unsw has 97+ (91+ if rural) etc. some of the unis weight interviews and ucat a lot higher than atar, for wsu for example hitting the minimum atar is fine but the interview is weighted 75% and ucat 25% with different weighting in diff sections of ucat. i'm just saying that it's very possible to get into med without 99.95 atar, although if you're undecided between law and med then it's good to do postgrad med anyway prob (or if u end up hating law, you can always transfer into med in 2nd/3rd/4th/5th year)

4lulai

HSC
they don't favour a particular degree over another, the gamsat test (the one u take for admission into postgrad med) tests written communication, humanties + social sciences and biological + physical sciences anyway, so arguably for law you'd have a strong background in 2/3 of those categories. besides that you just need to hit the gpa requirement, so provided you do well in a law degree there's nothing stopping you from transferring to postgrad med

also, you don't need 99.95 atar for med unless if you're gunning for usyd for whatever reason (a med degree at any uni is as good as any other) - e.g. wsu has 95.5+ (93.5+ if u live in western sydney), newcastle has 94.3+ (or 91.4+ if rural), unsw has 97+ (91+ if rural) etc. some of the unis weight interviews and ucat a lot higher than atar, for wsu for example hitting the minimum atar is fine but the interview is weighted 75% and ucat 25% with different weighting in diff sections of ucat. i'm just saying that it's very possible to get into med without 99.95 atar, although if you're undecided between law and med then it's good to do postgrad med anyway prob (or if u end up hating law, you can always transfer into med in 2nd/3rd/4th/5th year)
tysm!
do Medical institutions have any prereqs tho? like do i have to have taken units of chem or bio related stuff?

liamkk112

HSC
tysm!
do Medical institutions have any prereqs tho? like do i have to have taken units of chem or bio related stuff?
nah they usually dont for postgrad, probably becuase those topics are already tested in the gamsat and so i guess thats the minimum knowledge u need before the md

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)