writing creatives (1 Viewer)

medaspirant

HSC
hey there,
i feel with regards to english i struggle to an extent in writing creative pieces, any suggestions on how i could potentially improve are all welcomed.

icycledough

HSC
There's a few tips which I think would be really useful.

1) Before jumping into ideas, have an idea for a main character and try to develop it (your character doesn't have to be some 'immortal-like' person who saves the world, or some exaggerated idea like that; often, the simple characters with an insightful meaning will be the most effective

2) Have a setting for your character; what time period, where will the story take place, what people are around them

3) Experiment with different perspectives; first, second and third and settle with the one you are most comfortable with (personally, I liked to use third person)

4) Have a structure to your story; you don't need to get through a whole lot in your piece, as you simply won't have the word limit nor the time to do so; even a simple structure like below can be really effective

• Inciting Incident
  • Rising Action
  • The Conflict
  • The Climax
  • The Resolution

qwertywerido

HSC
K, so my opinions about creatives. YOU DON'T NEED A PLOT- considering the fact that most creatives in our English courses give us nothing in terms of a word count. I would either plan to write a character-driven piece, (aka in media res) or a piece with a LOT of time skips. I think the biggest mistake that anyone could make in writing a creative is to attempt to write some big epic- end of the world or die situation.

In terms of finding inspiration? I suppose reading a couple of short stories could help you to set a tone- or figure out a tone for your piece. From which you can then try to develop a story. Personally speaking, when I think of an idea- it is always finding a tone, then expanding from there, meaning and writing style and everything can just jump off that cliff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)