• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Writing Help (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I am a bit on the stressed side, I got back my half yearly and my marks have dropped a lot since last year. Last yr i got 91/100 and this yr i got 74%...most of my other marks were fine like speaking 17/20 - I lost most of my marks for writing. My teacher says that what I write is really sophisticated but I make lots of silly grammar mistakes, What should i do to improve my writing?

malkin86

HSC
Well, if you're making a lot of silly grammar mistakes, I'd suggest you go right back to your grammar and look it over. You could try writing summaries in your own words of how to form each tense, and show your teacher/us and ask them to check it.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
The thing is my italian teacher said the same thing to me...but she said if you gave me a taste on grammar i'd pass it with flying colours...i guess i just dont put it into practice when i write?

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
That happened with my class as well. I guess when you're trying to be as sophisticated as you can, using difficult structures in such a short time then you're bound to make little mistakes. Our teacher's advice (probably yours too) was to leave say 5 min at the end to just go over your response, make sure all the verbs conjugate correctly, spelling, accents, verb/adjective agrees with the noun, etc. You'll write 5 min worth of stuff less but you'll probably save lots of marks cos your accuracy will be improved.

Good luck

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
Well if u write very sophisticated, all u need to focus on is ur grammar
Same as me, i make stupid mistakes, but i dont do too many of them now, so im improving

chepas

HSC
melsc, with what specifically were you happening problems? What Kaz said (welcome back! Long time no see!) is very true, leaving about 5min at the end just to look over your response, check verb and noun agreements and other grammatical things, can clean up a lot.

Otherwise, I suggest my age-old adage: practice, practice practice!

One thing my German teacher always went, and what the professors at uni say, is try usually to write within your means, as in, write what you know what you're capable of. That way, you don't get muddled in yourself trying to be TOO complicated.

chepas

HSC
Perhaps, and the question to which it was related :D.

Skip

I used to have grammar problems.

I know it sucks but just practise, in about 3 days my grammar had improved immensely.

What I did first was just write a regular verb in full for EVERY tense to see exactly how it works (endings etc.).

Then I work though each tense and my grandad tested me often. Then we went through all the irregular verbs., that was it

Trust me, it doesn't take as long as it seems and is well worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)