• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Writing notes or Reading notes? (2 Viewers)

aTemp

HSC
I know there is hundreds of similar threads out there...(i think) but i cant go through all of them cause i dont have time so....(if you have a link for me that would be great)

Say for the half yearlys you wrote notes on 2 topics of a syllabus of a subject (since you only finished up to like 2 topics) Is it better to write AGAIN the same 2 topics + the other topics for the trials AND THEN the hsc? or is it better just to read the same notes and just add on the other topics because i heard that the process of writing notes is more effective than just reading it but i cant be bothered writing another 10+ pages on the same topic.
so which is better?

goosiegoo

HSC
It depends on the way you study. If you can focus and read the notes, and actually take in the information and rememeber it - then sure, read them. But if you're not very good at that, you should write them out again.

I can never concentrate if i try to read a particularly boring textbook for too long, so i summarise and make notes from them because that requires me to actually pay attention.

As for the 2 topics questions... i intend to re-write all of my notes for the trials/hsc, but i would probably place more focus on the topics i hadn't studied for an exam before, because i wouldn't know them as well. But thats just me. You could always do some practice exams on those topics to see how much you remember, and thus how much you have to do... just a suggestion.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
You can't learn what you can't understand.
So if I'm in doubt with a topic I consult another textbook which will always clarify things, then I write it down in a way I understand.

So Writing is often better.

^emmie^

HSC
i think re writting ur notes is a good idea cause you pay more attention and you dont really miss anything like if reading u might just skim over a bit which wouldnt b to effective
but it realli deprnds on ur learning style

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
I prefer writing out notes again rather than just reading them. I find that my mind wanders off when I read notes, so to keep it focused on the subject, I write. That's what I did for the half yearly's, as well as doing a few past papers. I gave my notes away to friends in my class so I can rewrite them again when the trials come.

Then again, you might be able to read and absorb the information, just like the rank 1 guy in my school -.-;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)