• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Writing speed (1 Viewer)

bladenia

HSC
N/A
HEY~!!!!!!!

How fast do yall write???

I believe it is VERY CRUCIAL to high marks in the english exams

i write at 27 words per minute?

test urs and tell me here,

i think 27 is quite slow.

ALSO do u think the examiners would mind, if we all had the same things from the same study guides? Would they penalise eg 0 mark, if 2 ppl had very close essays from same school???

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Would they mind? errr well, yeah cos that has been a main irritant of markers since the new HSC. People cribbing from excel and sounding like monotonous drones when writing essays that don't contain depth, meaning or any evidence of THINKING.

About the writing speed: dunno how many words per minute, but i can fill out a lecture pad page in about 8 minutes approx (based on my past assessments and trials for the histories and eng adv, ext 1)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm I do about half a page in 10mins....

But my writing is very small, about half the size of everybody else....in fact my teachers say to make it bigger...Is size important as well?

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
if u have the information that answers the question
it doesn't matter where it comes from or if its the same
my tutor for eng marks the HSC and he said that u read alot of kids stuff
and it is straight from the excel books but they answered the question
so they can't mark them down

as for writing if u really wanna write quicker just practice it heaps
b4 the HSC and that way u know that you couldn't have done better

egnaro

HSC
Legibility is a big issue in english exams. My teacher told me that a marker has roughly 3-5 mins to mark an essay and if they get to a bit which they cant read, BIG CROSS NEXT PAPER.

Its not how fast you write but The fastest legible writing speed you can achive eg

A person writing at 20 legible words p/m is better then a person writing at 50 non legible words p/m

personally i write about 35 words p/m but my legibility is out the window so i have to slow it down or learn to write legibly

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
For a starter they dont mark the paper except to indicate that they had read it. Secondly they don't penalise on handwriting, just look at the exemplar's their handwriting is shocking.

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
I use felt tip pen which i feel very comfortable with. I can write a lot, dont know about words per minute. I'll practice more, if Im not fast enough i may have to resort to biro.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
I write pretty slowly... I can do about 4-5 pages of an exam booklet (22 lines/page) in 40 min on a good day - that is, when i know what i'm talking about. My writing is reasonably compact though, as are the ideas that i'm writing. My english teacher is always telling me to expand more... it goes both ways.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
mizz_smee said:
if u have the information that answers the question
it doesn't matter where it comes from or if its the same
my tutor for eng marks the HSC and he said that u read alot of kids stuff
and it is straight from the excel books but they answered the question
Ok, take a look at ANY exemplar samples and find me ONE that is superficial (dealing with things only on the surface), and obviously cribbed from a shithole book like excel. Excel has got to be one of the worse sources for English research, that I know of. Answering the question is not the only task to be assessed. Take a look at the syllabus and look at all the things required of a student in order to land a high mark. Sure, responses using solely excel might JUST let you scrape across the border, but a stellar mark is impossible. You don't need to be an "English God", to look at Excel (keep in mind, im only referring to excel for english) and see how crap it and it's generic arguments are.

/Rant over. I just have a pet peeve about excel books for English :mad:

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
i think over the next few years a proper system should be implemented to allow people to do their english exams on the computer. I dont think its fair how you have nerds that can type real fast on the computer but arnt allowed to do the exam on the computer.

If i was allowed to do the exam on computer? vvv

2000 words for each essay in paper 2 :) and a 50 page story for aos, with about 10 pages for each question in section 1
^_^_^_^_^_^

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
pfffft, yeah right. We might as well be issued with laptops and carry out all work on computers since it suits everyone so well.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Sarah168 said:
pfffft, yeah right. We might as well be issued with laptops and carry out all work on computers since it suits everyone so well.
did i say it suits everyone?

and if peolpe have the advantage of fast hand writing i think its only fair for those with fast typing

and yes, we should all be working on computers since they are dominant in this day and age.

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
don't know in wpm but I did 7-8 page essays for each in the english trial, 7 words per line very neat (about 4 mins per page)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Li0n said:
did i say it suits everyone?

and if peolpe have the advantage of fast hand writing i think its only fair for those with fast typing

and yes, we should all be working on computers since they are dominant in this day and age.
What a realistic idea :rolleyes:

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
Sarah168 said:
Ok, take a look at ANY exemplar samples and find me ONE that is superficial (dealing with things only on the surface), and obviously cribbed from a shithole book like excel. Excel has got to be one of the worse sources for English research, that I know of. Answering the question is not the only task to be assessed. Take a look at the syllabus and look at all the things required of a student in order to land a high mark. Sure, responses using solely excel might JUST let you scrape across the border, but a stellar mark is impossible. You don't need to be an "English God", to look at Excel (keep in mind, im only referring to excel for english) and see how crap it and it's generic arguments are.

/Rant over. I just have a pet peeve about excel books for English :mad:
i never said that i liked the excel books either i don't own any for eng.
just because they arn't included in exemplar doesn't mean they didn't get full marks
they just weren't exemplar standards as the title suggest
becasue to be exemplar you have to be able to have you own idea, think etc etc.

rainonmay

floating around
HSC
i write pretty slow i write a page in 10 minz i need to practice writing fast but i write even slower if i am not under exam condition

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
bladenia said:
HEY~!!!!!!!

How fast do yall write???

I believe it is VERY CRUCIAL to high marks in the english exams

i write at 27 words per minute?

test urs and tell me here,

i think 27 is quite slow.

ALSO do u think the examiners would mind, if we all had the same things from the same study guides? Would they penalise eg 0 mark, if 2 ppl had very close essays from same school???
they want your stuff to new new, innovative, intuitive and original
youre not gonna get many marks for regurgitating a study guide

bladenia

HSC
N/A
Alrite alrite, i c ic,

not much ppl know their writing speed, i REALLY need to learn how to write faster,

beacuse im the type that memorises essays and paragraphs completely and jsut change modify the structure a little to suit question and text type. works for me anyway,

but i have way..... too much to write in the 40 min allocated time.

Any good ideas on learning how to write faster, without sacrificing legibility???

As for those examplars, would they care if u plagiarise it alittle?
actually for example, if u copy one STRAIGHT OUT, would they care?

EDIT : 27 words per minute X 40 mins = 1080 words. average, i have 1300 words per module exculdin intro, conclusion.

Kimmi_R

i dont know about words but our class has been doing speed tests all year and we are getting 5-9 pages in 40mins. thats not much but once you get used to writing fast you get quicker at it every time:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)