Writing 'z' (1 Viewer)

Wohzazz

HSC
Most applicable to complex numbers

Do people do the 'normal' z or the z that looks like a 3

Personally i think the z that looks like a 3 is better, faster to write, i see tutors and some teacher write it like that

Is it out of fashion or is it still in use?

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
i use it or i get confused with the number 2

actually i get confused by my writing a lot in maths, x's that look like n's that look like u's, k's and h's the same, a's and d's....

spice girl

magic mirror
well when you write z with a tail (so it looks like a 3), it starts to look like a 3 anyway. So I ended up not doing that either

what I do nowadays is to write a z with a bar in the middle (like what some people do with the number 7 so it doesn't get confused with the > sign).

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
In mathematical context (e.g. in equations & stuff) I prefer to write z in the "common form" (just as it appears on the screen here in this font). so it doesn't get confused with 3. But in my handwriting I prefer to write z with a tail (the form that looks like 3) because it seems to flow better with running writing.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
what I do nowadays is to write a z with a bar in the middle (like what some people do with the number 7 so it doesn't get confused with the > sign).
same with me a crossed z

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
well when you write z with a tail (so it looks like a 3), it starts to look like a 3 anyway. So I ended up not doing that either

yeah, i forced myself to get into the habit of the crossed out z...bcoz my writing is so messy. :(

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Yeah i write the fancy z - always have.. i like it but wid 4 unit it looks so much like a three and it confuses me so i underline it too

Wohzazz

HSC
That will look pretty weird if you were to also place a modulus bar at the top

sammeh

hmm normally when im doing a math problem i'm writing/thinking too quickly to really care what im writing. this has cost me a lot of marks over the years in plus signs that should have been minus' and vice versa, but never with a number/pronumeral. so meh :/

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Cross your Z's, very important, that little line will save you many marks.

you could use the one that looks like a 3 if you write neat, but as you said it does look like a 3, which is just as bad as looking like a 2

babygoose!

>>rraahhh<<
HSC
my z's sorta look like a cross between a 3 and a squiggle...they are hopeless..i should really start trying to be neater with them

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
or you could just write z like it is on the screen and write the 2 as is shown in my attachment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)