• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Year 10 hsc subjects!!!! (1 Viewer)

denxden2800

HSC
Hi! Subject selection is almost here and I just want to know if my subjects are good enough for a 96+ ATAR. As I want to pursue medicine, I also want to know if Biology is really necessary. Here are the subjects that I was thinking of taking:

English Advanced
English Extension 1
Mathematics (2U)
Chemistry
Biology
PDHPE
Legal Studies

Should I swap out some of my subjects? Any tips/advice for any of these subjects will be much appreciated!

Dragon9000

HSC
N/A
Have a look on a uni you want to go to and their recommended studies for year 11 and 12. I'm not familiar with medicine and what is needed of that.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Any subject combo is good enough for 99.95, but the real question is are you good enough?

trecex1

HSC
Subjects don't matter as much as how well you can do overall . No subjects are 'necessary' but the minimum atar for med is very high -e.g usyd med is 99.95 for an interview, most who get into unsw med get 99.5+. So if you can pull mid-high 90's individually in your current subjects then it is achievable.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Any subject combination can allow 99.95

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
You also don't need to do HSC Biology for Medicine. You should probably only do it if you think it will help your ATAR.

fluffchuck

HSC
Uni Grad
You don't have any prerequisite subjects for Medicine (except Standard English as a minimum level of English), although it is stated by UNSW that Chemistry may be useful.

LC14199

HSC
^^^ This. ESPECIALLY if you're looking into pharmaceuticals. Chemistry will set you up in biology as well, because you'll have a greater understanding of the underlying chemistry that powers enzymes, which you'll study in Biology. (Among other topics). Chem + Bio = good combo for medicine tbh. But what the most important thing to do here is, pick stuff that you LIKE. It's irrelevant if one is a prereq for a course you want to do. That can be fixed with a bridge course. If you don't like science, but want to do something scientific in University, then seriously, do other things in high school that you'll enjoy. Enjoying a topic makes it a lot easier to study for. (Take it from a current Year 12).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)