year 11/12 maths (1 Viewer)

Tu17

Latte addict XD
HSC
Hey ppl,

My school decided that they would have an exam, and based on that exam, and ONLY that exam people would be put into no maths,general,mathametics and ext.
Has anyone else have some crappy thing like this at thier school ?

Im in advance maths this year, and looks like ill be doing general next year only becuase of this exam. I had work exp, and in the middle of the week, i had to come to school just for the exam and failed it :p got like 35%. Although iv been getting avarage/high marks all year.

Out of my whole year there are 6 people in ext, and about 15 in mathametics, the rest either arent doing maths or are in general. Now my question is is the school even allowed to do something like this ? becuase its really pissing me off, and its screwing up my future plans for after school. :mad:

Cheers ppl
Tu17 :D

P

pLuvia

Yes they are allowed to, but no it's really unfair :)

Just beg them :) It works for most people

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
our skool doesn't have things like that\
but if u r struggling quite obviously, they send letters home and force u to drop

klaw

HSC
35% for a year 10 test??? sorry to sound harsh, but even if you did no study, 35% is very low for a year 10 test if you're wishing to do well in 2U/3U. 2U/3U is a lot harder than yr 10 maths.

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
Yep, we have that for English. Our English faculty told us that you won't be allowed to do Advanced English if you score less than a band 5/6 in the SC. Harsh....so harsh.
As for your math's dilemma, just beg, kiss arse, etc .... whatever to the head teacher. They'd have to be pretty evil not to let you even try it out.

Tu17

Latte addict XD
HSC
Yeah lol ill try begging the teacher tomorrow :D Our teacher gave us what "would" be in the test and what chapters to study from out textbooks and in the end what she told us was about 1/5 of the test and rest was year 11 work to see if we could handle it. o_O

This is even the first year our schools having this, and only for maths, not for eng or science or anything.

cheers
Tu17

xxxx8888

HSC
oh god, how annoying. yes, that would seriously piss me off. aren't you annoyed that this is the first time your school's doing this and it's YOUR year that they spring it on? ok, i'm probably not being much help but yeah, just beg them or get your parents in or something. because doing general maths is pointless.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
basketcase89 said:
Yep, we have that for English. Our English faculty told us that you won't be allowed to do Advanced English if you score less than a band 5/6 in the SC. Harsh....so harsh.
As for your math's dilemma, just beg, kiss arse, etc .... whatever to the head teacher. They'd have to be pretty evil not to let you even try it out.
wtf!

i got a band 4 in SC english (felt sick on the day... i'll use that as an excuse :D)
and am currently at the top of our extension class... (in band 6 range for most assignments)

that's pretty unfair i think

YBK

HSC
Tu17 said:
Hey ppl,

My school decided that they would have an exam, and based on that exam, and ONLY that exam people would be put into no maths,general,mathametics and ext.
Has anyone else have some crappy thing like this at thier school ?

Im in advance maths this year, and looks like ill be doing general next year only becuase of this exam. I had work exp, and in the middle of the week, i had to come to school just for the exam and failed it :p got like 35%. Although iv been getting avarage/high marks all year.

Out of my whole year there are 6 people in ext, and about 15 in mathametics, the rest either arent doing maths or are in general. Now my question is is the school even allowed to do something like this ? becuase its really pissing me off, and its screwing up my future plans for after school. :mad:

Cheers ppl
Tu17 :D
35% is pretty low, even for a non-serious effort

BUT, I think 2 unit is within anyone's reach if effort is given!

P

pLuvia

If you've been getting high averages? then how could you fail your yearlies? Unless you fluked all of them I don't see how you could have failed a test that you have already done the topics on and that you have got well in them?

YBK

HSC
kadlil said:
If you've been getting high averages? then how could you fail your yearlies? Unless you fluked all of them I don't see how you could have failed a test that you have already done the topics on and that you have got well in them?
maybe he felt sick/fell asleep during the test :D

P

pLuvia

YBK said:
maybe he felt sick/fell asleep during the test :D
hahah worst excuse :D Anyway even if you try your best year 10 questions are so basic, I mean 35% is shocking unless it was a hard test? which I doubt :)

apak

HSC
klaw mr, u cud be kinda nicer.
Tu17 i believe you should question yourself isit because your lazy or incapable. It is better doing general maths than having trouble with your 2u adv. If your lazy like me then perhaps get you parents have a chat with your school. Yr 9 and 10 maths was easy. I started doing yr 11 maths with the same attitude - no paying attention - no hwk done and etc and i got ranked last for 3u. The next 2 assesment i started paying attention in class - didnt particularly do much hwk but then i did pretty well for them. Overall i got ranked 12 for 2u and 18 for 3 u. Yes its not really good but atleast i got myself bak up from last. Im sure if i worked harder in the first exam i wud be like top 10. Anyway im in year 10 now so i guess ill do my hard work next year and hopefully get a good hsc math mark.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
It depends on your sucject lines, my schools letting people trial Maths for the first time, instead of forceing them to do general maths because they put both maths into one line this year so that people can drop back down to general if they think mathematics is to hard.

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
apak, Klaw is probably right.

Maybe Tu17, if your school doesn't think you can do it, you might want to reconsider advanced. If you're not expecting a band 5 in the school certificate, I wouldn't be set on it.

Zozo6969

HSC
At my school, there is usually 2 advanced classes, but this year there was 1 because our year is extremely dumb. Our school is pretty lenient on subject choices. They give advice for what you can and can't do in maths, english and science. Eg, general maths only, extension 1, extension 1 trial, must not exceed mathematics. Same for english and science just says like senior science only, must not exceed biology, physics, no chemistry/physics, no physics, no science etc. I think there are about 15 ext 1 maths for next year, but I don't know because another school feeds into our school. Our school also had a test, for the people who were recommended general only. If they got above 75% in the test, then they could do mathematics. If not, then general. BUT, the test was on 4 topics they had never done before, and all of the people were in intermediate classes (we have 1 adv, 4 int, and 1 standard). The topics were like quadratic equations, parabola/hyperbola/exponential, substitution equations and some other shit.

But I think our school is a little too lenient because there are 3 or 4 eco classes and 3 or 4 legal classes. One is 4 one is 3 i cant remember which.

Also, our SC doesn't count for our subject selection, we get them sent on the Wednesday (tommorrow) the day after the SC. But our coordinator had a letter that said send them out on Wednesday so the kids won't know their subjects before SC, so they can go good in SC. Also, they did it because some idiots believe SC counts towards it, even if it is only 1 day after.

If you are an idiot at our school but, your gone. Because they restrict you so much. All you can do is Catholic studies (our school is Catholic, so compulsory Catholic or SOR), general maths, standard eng, and some crap other topics, no science, no bus, no legal, no eco, no nothing, mainly VET courses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)