Year 11-- found out if you're in cont or background yet? (1 Viewer)

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
Hey,

Has anyone currently in Year 11 [i.e. doing HSC in 2009] found out if they're elligible for Chinese continuers/stuck with Background Speakers next year?

My school gave in our forms ages ago but we still haven't heard. We're handing in our subject selection forms for Year 12 in a month! Need to know now.... GRR
Stress stress *frustration* :burn:

One of my friends heard that they tell us 3 weeks or so into Year 12. Is this true?
Damn. They're leaving it so late. Bastards =[

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Tell them you speak English at home, and they'll let you do it (I think).
That's how a friend of mine ended up doing Chinese Cont.

Back to the topic though, you should go and chase them up. Like all admins in the world, unless you can prove you are right, they are always right.

BTW I heard Chinese Ext scales well?

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
xiao1985 said:
Tell them you speak English at home, and they'll let you do it (I think).
That's how a friend of mine ended up doing Chinese Cont.

Back to the topic though, you should go and chase them up. Like all admins in the world, unless you can prove you are right, they are always right.

BTW I heard Chinese Ext scales well?
Ah, well we have to fill in a form for it. It's all very troublesome =/
Mmm haha, unfortunately all my admins keep telling me "they'll look into it" "get back to you", etc, etc. I've heard that they'll let us know by the end of this week though, so let's hope that's try!

Ah yeah, but Chinese Ext is also pretty difficult I think and my interests lie elsewhere. I do have several friends who are planning on doing Ext though.

ronash

HSC
its a joke how many ineligible background speakers are allowed to chinese continuers. it is no where near efficiently policed and not naming any schools, there are whole cohorts that are all background speakers. wat sort of incentive is it for non-background speakers to continue doing it?
there needs to be reform, in the meantime the fairness of this subject is just a joke.

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
ronash said:
its a joke how many ineligible background speakers are allowed to chinese continuers. it is no where near efficiently policed and not naming any schools, there are whole cohorts that are all background speakers. wat sort of incentive is it for non-background speakers to continue doing it?
there needs to be reform, in the meantime the fairness of this subject is just a joke.
I agree. It's very unfair how many true background speakers make it into continuers. However there are lots of Chinese kids who grow up in Australia and have very poor Chinese as it is. Some can't even speak Chinese before doing the course. Background speakers is a very difficult course; there needs to be an intermediate course between background and continuers.

HSC
there's no point in doing chinese background in year 12 if ur not actually chinese background. i did it this year and it was horrbile. it's like another world there since everyone has an advantage over you. only chinese continuers and ext. chinese scales u well. if u do crap in background chinese, it'll drag ur overall u.a.i really down. they only way to get scaled high in chinese background is to get 90+

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
☆ said:
there's no point in doing chinese background in year 12 if ur not actually chinese background. i did it this year and it was horrbile. it's like another world there since everyone has an advantage over you. only chinese continuers and ext. chinese scales u well. if u do crap in background chinese, it'll drag ur overall u.a.i really down. they only way to get scaled high in chinese background is to get 90+
Looking at statistics published by the UAC, it seems that regardless of how well you do in Chinese background, you still end being scaled down a lot.

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
Uh.. I don't think you can change from background to cont later =/ Try asking your head language teacher maybe?
I don't know but at my school, in Year 11 they just considered as Chinese continuers and told us if we were background or continuers in Year 12...

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
I was born in Australia but my parents and family are Chinese. I'm an ABC ^^

shuning

HSC
lol abc, no wonder u can do chinese count... ...... i looked at the chinese count paper for past yrs, it's hard in the last section of the writing T.T

and yet im in background.....

cant drop it if i get under 80 in 4unit math
esl kicked me out and i failed adv english T.T

ffs ....... !!!!!!!!!!!!!
@@

:burn:

Last edited:

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
How can esl kick you out? =/ If they think you shouldn't be eligible for english *as a second language*, then doesn't it contradict them putting you in Chinese background?

Work hard on Ext 2 maths! :) Around 80 is pretty good in ext 2 maths right? :hmm:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)