• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 going into Yr 12 (1 Viewer)

Smbdy

HSC
Hi everyone i was just wondering during my school break (unfortunately i was only given one week) how should i prepare for chemistry, and if theres anyone who has already done hsc or about to, and if they can share any tips and how they personally study for chem, that would be greatly appreciated thank u, any study tips or a schedule that you use pls anything would be of help i crashed out year 11 i did horrible i want to try to get back up lol . :):)

fesi2w3

If I don't get a 99+ it's over for everyone
HSC
During your school break you should honestly just relax since it's the only real break you're gonna get from here on out until you've completed your HSC!! Burnout is dangerous! And you've got the entire year to study for HSC chemistry anyway, so why now? Go out there and have a little fun! :oldsmile:

Luckily for you!! According to my tutor, you can definitely come back just fine from flunking prelim chemistry, because the HSC really doesn't include much of it (aside from the obvious fundamentals, like knowing your nomenclature and how bonds work, periodicity etc) and it's really more centred specifically on the HSC chemistry course. If you're missing vital fundamentals, you can flip through a Yr11 chem textbook, but honestly you'll figure it out as you go through the HSC course so I'd recommend just getting a headstart on that instead!

If you have the time and energy for it, try attaining a copy of a Yr12 chem textbook (the one you believe you'll be using) and start reading and writing notes!
If you're a little pressed on time or struggle digesting large amounts of information at once, you can also just watch videos online about each topic to get a compressed and digestible version of the same content.

Try doing a lot of practice questions & practice papers as well and you'll quickly learn what your weak spots are. Textbooks tend to have practice questions for each chapter/module, so make sure to go through those each time you complete one! And don't forget to note down all your mistakes and errors.

Other options are making flashcard decks, or teaching a friend/a toy the content you've just learned! Writing your own comprehensive study notes with the intent of posting them (maybe even on BoS) is also helpful, and who knows, you might even help someone else!

I have a bit of a peculiar brain, so I tend to work best when I'm going at my own pace and letting class-time be my revision which is why I usually study ahead of my class, and that will probably help you too! Try studying for your next lesson the night before, and then write notes on what you've learned after your lesson. Some people do daily notes for each day's subjects, others do weekly/fortnightly notes. I prefer the latter to be honest, because it requires you to exercise your memory a bit more! Personally, I write my notes for all the content I've learned for my subjects that week, and then I rewrite all my notes in the term holidays.

Study schedules and strategies are very person-specific, so I recommend trying a couple as a sort of test-run during your holidays, and then you'll figure out what helps the information stick for you or not!

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone i was just wondering during my school break (unfortunately i was only given one week) how should i prepare for chemistry, and if theres anyone who has already done hsc or about to, and if they can share any tips and how they personally study for chem, that would be greatly appreciated thank u, any study tips or a schedule that you use pls anything would be of help i crashed out year 11 i did horrible i want to try to get back up lol . :):)
It's great that you're determined to improve for HSC Chemistry! Many students face challenges in Year 11, but with the right approach, you can definitely bounce back. Here's a strategy to help you make the most of your one-week break and beyond:

Step 1: Review Year 11 Content
Before diving into Year 12 material, make sure your foundation is solid:

• Spend a day or two reviewing the core Year 11 topics like atomic structure, chemical reactions, and stoichiometry.
  • Use summary notes, textbook revision questions, or online resources (YouTube videos, Khan Academy, etc.) to fill any gaps.
Step 2: Focus on Key Topics for Year 12
HSC Chemistry has challenging topics like:

• Equilibrium and Acid/Base reactions
  • Electrochemistry (Galvanic/Voltaic cells)
  • Organic Chemistry Prioritize these areas in your study, as they're heavily tested.
Step 3: Practice Past Papers and Questions
  • Do practice questions and past HSC papers. This will help you become familiar with how questions are asked and what examiners expect.
  • Mark your answers using HSC marking guidelines. This will help you understand what earns marks and what doesn't.
Step 4: Create a Study Schedule
A consistent routine helps. Here's a sample plan for your one-week break:

Day 1-2: Review Year 11 concepts and identify weak areas
Day 3-4: Focus on Year 12 Module 5 (Equilibrium) – understand theory and do practice questions
Day 5-6: Study Module 6 (Acid/Base Reactions) – include definitions and practice titration problems
Day 7: Organic Chemistry overview (Module 7), and review practice questions

General Study Tips
  1. Active Recall and Spaced Repetition: Quiz yourself regularly and revisit concepts every few days to keep them fresh.
  2. Work with Friends: Study groups can help clarify confusing concepts and keep you motivated.
  3. Use Visual Aids: Make summary diagrams for processes like the Haber process or galvanic cells.
  4. Rest and Reflect: Ensure you take breaks and avoid burnout.
I hope this helps 😀

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)