• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 Parabola Question (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey guys, just strugglin with this one

the question reads

"Find the equation of the locus of point P that moves so that PA is perpendicular to PB where A=(-1,-3) and B=(2,4)"

Alrighty so far i know that (-1,4) and (2,-3) lie on the locus, i think you get the gradients with the two point formula, but im kinda stuck and the question is really starting to shit me so If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Stan..

HSC
Use the 'two point gradient formula', m1m2 = -1. Then a little re-arrangement and you find a solution, I am unsure if it is right. But I got a answer.

Forget that, Trev's method is correct. I considered that before I attempted the problem, Posted a bad method. Sorry.

Last edited:
HSC
Stan.. said:
Use the 'two point gradient formula', m1m2 = -1. Then a little re-arrangement and you find a solution, I am unsure if it is right. But I got a answer.

Forget that, Trev's method is correct. I considered that before I attempted the problem, Posted a bad method. Sorry.
ive tried that...and i get all this x and y mumbo jumbo that doesnt really make sense.....do u think u guys could be a tad more specific.....thanks.

apak

HSC
Stan.. said:

I dont think you use 2 point formula. it doesnt really make sense. the 2 point formula will just give you the gradient of the line joining the to points but not the locus of the point.

apak

HSC
A=(-1,-3) B=(2,4) P=(x,y)
then m of AP = (y+3)/(x+1)
and m of BP = (y-4)/(x-2)
perpendicular at -1 therefore
m of AP x m of BP = -1
[(y+3)/(x+1)][(y-4)/(x-2)]=-1
y²-4y+3y-12/x²-2x+x-2=-1
-x²+x+2=y²-y-12
x²+y²-x-y=14

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)