Year 12 Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

Bball1

HSC
So recently I have been asked to really think about what subjects to drop and extensions to pick up for year 12. I am planning on picking up extension 2 maths as I am in accelerated, and in turn dropping extension english. The remaining units I have are modern, eco and chem. I am currently a very high ranking for modern and is very enjoyable and so my teachers have been asking me to pick up history extension. My school only lets us do a maximum 12 units, also I wouldn't want to be doing any more, so I would have to drop chemistry to make room for it. Problem is, I also enjoy chem, not as much as history but still very much so, but with picking up extension 2 maths I am just wondering if it's too much work doing 12 units and especially with chem already being very demanding. So I am inclined to drop it for history extension, but then I am only doing humanities and I am afraid if this will close any future doors.

Also I'm not sure how much my atar will be affected as I think I would do better in history extension than in chemistry, but of course chem somehow scales quite a bit better than history extension; and I am performing pretty well at chem at the moment. Maybe wait for the prelims but considering all the other factors I'm not sure.

Any advice?

jojosiwa123

HSC
If you're worried about dropping chem closing future doors you might wanna talk to your careers advisor, and see if it's a prerequisite for anything you might wanna study in the future (for example some courses might require that you do at least one science). In terms of scaling, I don't think its the MOST important thing, you are more likely to get a good atar if you do subjects you are genuinely good at/willing to work hard in rather than relying on scaling.
History ext isn't as demanding as chemistry BUT I highly suggest that you research what it's about and talk to whoever teaches it- it's historiography which is a bit boring or difficult for some (personally my class of 10ish dropped to 3 people by term 1 of this year). Try and see if you can pick up those extra units (maths ext 2 and history ext) for a few weeks of year 12 (or sit in during a couple classes if the teacher is ok with it) to see if they're subjects you'd like to keep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)