Yeats - Textual Integrity? (1 Viewer)

jitterbugz

Ok, I know its really really extremely late, but I have a few questions..

1. How do I relate textual integrity with Yeats?
2. Do I have to use like a Feminist or Post Colonial point of view? I've always only used a critic like CK Stead or something..
3. How do I structure a Module B essay?

Thanks for the help in advance! :)

jono0

Ok,
1- Textual integrity and Yeats - This is a minor point so don't spend too long on it - it comes in during readings,

example: would Yeat's Second Coming be reliable as a Marxist source - answer: No - due to mindless drivle in Biblical allusions such as the slouching beast

Yeats is generally accepted as a good Romantic poet, despite my opinion that Blake, Wordworth and Butler are far superior, so don't question his integrity as a poet or what he is saying in your new criticism perspective - you can say however that his Romantic perspective clouds his integrity in discussing political events such as the Easter uprising in 1916 (poem - Easter 1916)

2- Structure - simple and easy

Intro - introduce poems, critical readings and relate an argument to the questions stimulus

Poem 1 - If they specify a poem do it first - 1 - analysis of techniques in poem and generalised meaning - then do a reading of it - ie Marxist, Feminisy, Existentialist, Jungian, Freudian etc etc... then relate to the question

Poem 2 - 1 your choice of poem! - analysis of techniques in poem and generalised meaning - then do a reading of it - ie Marxist, Feminisy, Existentialist, Jungian, Freudian etc etc... then relate to the question

Do a new criticism perspective (your view) that means talk bout them in general and their application to question and the transcendency of themes

Conclusion tie together argument

3- I prob answered it above but yeah you have to do these stupid readings

Marxist is easiest - Just relate it back to a class strugglr and look for symbols and techniques that convey meaning to this ideology. Marxists believe that all art should be about natural justice so evaluate the poem in light of this. Marxists hate religious and spiritual drivle as "religion is the opium of the people" so criticise any Biblical allusions. Finally, Marxists have their own ideas about history such as historical inevitability in the uprising of the proletriat - ie Yeats'gyre and historical interpretations are not aggreable to a Marxist so cut them down too

I hope this helps

jitterbugz

wow thanks! :D that helped me a lot. My teacher never did all these Marxist, Feminist etc readings.. And I only found out about textual integrity by talking to some other people recently. >_<

- Another question on structure, do I have to relate the two poems? like compare and contrast..

- I got a good source of information from the Macquarie English (Advanced) - Modules study guide today.. they had like resistant readings from a feminist, psychoanalytical, Christian point of view etc.. one for each of the poems.. But they didn't have the Marxist one. :)

- oh and how many critics do we need? two for one poem? a dominant and resistant one?

- And talking about specifying poems? which ones do you think they will specify? I think it is highly unlikely for them to specify "Byzantium" cuz its a tough poem.. Hmm..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)