• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

your top-5. (1 Viewer)

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
To help in my decision making process about the degree i would like to do next year, i would very much appreciate it if any uni student could list what they consider to be the top 5 most important aspects of study at university (Eg: helps u get a high-paying job, social life etc.) or the components you suggest i should consider when making my decision. (eg; amount of time spent at uni/studying)

Thanx!

SweetSeasons

HSC
1. You love it
2. You love it
3. You love it
4. You love it
5. You love it

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I agree, no matter what you do you need to truly love it and have a passion for it. All the other stuff is irrelevant (I mean, yeah, its nice to have a gorgeous campus with trees and stuff, I don't think I could survive in the concrete jungle that is UTS, but in all reality, you're at uni primarily to get an education; social life, campus prettiness, etc, are all secondary, and whilst they're nice to have, you don't need them)

Lainee

HSC
Choose something that complements:

1. Your interests. You don't have to love it to excel in it, but at the very least you should find some enjoyment in it.

2. Your natural aptitude. Choose something which you excel in. Are there some things you find easier to learn than others? Start from there and explore the possible degrees where your talents will be best applied.

3. Your priorities. What kind of uni-lifestyle do you want to live? What are your expectations of how uni will be, and what are you unwilling to give up to achieve that? Do you want to work at the same time and is your degree going to affect that?

4. Your future. Once you've narrowed down a list of degrees that you may be interested in, research where these degrees may lead. If income is something you consider relevant and important than by all means take this into account.

It's about self-examination; what works for you, as opposed to what everyone else thinks.

HSC
Ok, so the aspects that have been presented so far are:
- Amount of enjoyment
- Job prospects (after course completion)
- course/uni reputation (NB: i've already decided on newcastle so i hope that isnt a big problem)
- Salary (after course completion)
- How the course suits my natural talents
- amount of time spent focused on uni (so that other things must be sacrificed)
- education/ what you actually learn.
-allow myself to finalise my future directions.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
newcastle doesnt have a good rep, but ultimately, it doesnt make much differenc

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
That isn't entirely correct. Newcastle has the most diverse health faculty, which is considered one of the best in the country (if not, *the* best).

Yes, we may lack in some areas, but you can't apply a blanket statement such as "newcastle doesnt have a good rep" (which has namely come about given the fact that we're not in Sydney, and of course, only capital cities are any good :rolleyes: )

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
That isn't entirely correct. Newcastle has the most diverse health faculty, which is considered one of the best in the country (if not, *the* best).

Yes, we may lack in some areas, but you can't apply a blanket statement such as "newcastle doesnt have a good rep" (which has namely come about given the fact that we're not in Sydney, and of course, only capital cities are any good :rolleyes: )
no, it doesnt have a good rep. there's no way around it. you may believe it has a 'diverse' health faculty and this may be true, but this doesn't change the fact that it doesn't have the greatest of reps (although it may be considered to have a higher rep than UWS and Bathurst). Wollongong has a good rep and it's out of sydney so it's not a capital city thing

HSC
hipsta_jess said:

Umm ok, the course i'm deciding between are Architecture and town planning at newcastle. How are those rep wise??

stazi

Nightman
HSC
The_highwayman said:
Umm ok, the course i'm deciding between are Architecture and town planning at newcastle. How are those rep wise??
rep doesnt matter THAT much.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't have a clue. Nor do I care.

As stazi said, rep doesn't matter that much. To revert to the old stereotype/rivalry, a kick-arse student from UWS will get a job over a shit bludger from USyd anyday.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Don't listen to the people who say reputation of Uni is the highest priority.

We are all forgetting that study itself is one of the key aspects. Do well.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
RanyofuKenyan? said:
1. Ethnic ratios
2. The similarity of the buildings to Hogwarts.
3. Uni/Course reputation fo sho, word.
4. Proximity to alcoholic premises.
5. Potential to make MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.
^^^^^

I like your gist. And by that I dont mean tumour.
:cool:

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
My Top 5

1) Girl:Guy Ratio
2) Alcoholic Beverage Facilities
3) Atmosphere - Surrounding Environment, the people, the pool tables and unibar trivia
4) The quality/rep of the course I want, not the uni but the course the uni provides
5) How easy it is to get there and the costs involved of attending.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
1) Friends
2) Social life
3) Degree structure
4) Employment potential
5) Girl attractiveness

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
The_highwayman said:
at the moment there is a HUGE demand for town planners, at UNE lots of people are offered jobs as early as 1st year... which means u have heaps of time to work your way up and earn more $$$ (if that's what u care about)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
SweetSeasons said:
1. You love it
2. You love it
3. You love it
4. You love it
5. You love it
Well... I agree. The only criteria is that I love it.

LOOOOVE is the keyword. We all need some.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)