• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Youth Allowance question (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey, I'm sorry if this has been posted before. I'm on youth allowance and am in yr 12. I get 190 dollars a fortnight and this is just enough to pay for driving lessons, internet bill, phone credit,excursions etc. However, I don't want to get a part time job because all of my friends who work at maccaz, gloria jeans, kfc get only 2 shifts a week and less money than I do. I'm finding it really hard saving my youth allowance money when I have so many expenses so I was wondering if you get a part time job and are earning a low wage is your youth allowance effected? Do you lose it altogether? Thankyou

HSC
in your situation don't worry about it so much.

when you start earning > $400/fortnight (it's about that much anyway) you have a "bank" (for need of a better word) of $6000 they will deduct from for every dollar over you are each fortnight. if you have nothing left in this "bank" *then* they will start deducting from your youth allowance. this resets every year.

i *think* that's how it works but yeah don't worry too much about YA and get a job if that's what you want. :) but remember if you get a job you have to declare your payments to centrelink (but not if you get paid cash in hand).

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
watatank said:
in your situation don't worry about it so much.

when you start earning > $400/fortnight (it's about that much anyway) you have a "bank" (for need of a better word) of $6000 they will deduct from for every dollar over you are each fortnight. if you have nothing left in this "bank" *then* they will start deducting from your youth allowance. this resets every year.

i *think* that's how it works but yeah don't worry too much about YA and get a job if that's what you want. :) but remember if you get a job you have to declare your payments to centrelink (but not if you get paid cash in hand).
You've got the general concept right, but you are wrong on a couple of the details.

Every dollar you earn above $260 in each fortnight will reduce your youth allowance by about 25c in each dollar. If you dont earn that amount though, the difference is added to an 'income bank', where you can continue this until a maximum of $6000 is achieved. Once this happens, you can earn over the $260/fortnight and any additional earnings will simply reduce the amount you have in the 'income bank'.

For example, I used to work at a fast food place, and would earn about $200 a fortnight. So roughly, each week I had $60 go into my 'income bank'. Then I stopped work, and had no earnings, so they put $260 each fortnight into my income bank. When I started working, I had about $2300 that I could earn, and still receive my full amount of Youth Allowance.

So, to answer the OP's original question, as long as you are earning less than $260 each fortnight from KFC, Macca's etc, then you will still receive your full $190 per fortnight in Youth Allowance, PLUS any earnings from your job. You just need to make sure you earn around $130 a week for this to continue.

G

Gavvvvvin

i-love-maynard said:
Hey, I'm sorry if this has been posted before. I'm on youth allowance and am in yr 12. I get 190 dollars a fortnight and this is just enough to pay for driving lessons, internet bill, phone credit,excursions etc. However, I don't want to get a part time job because all of my friends who work at maccaz, gloria jeans, kfc get only 2 shifts a week and less money than I do. I'm finding it really hard saving my youth allowance money when I have so many expenses so I was wondering if you get a part time job and are earning a low wage is your youth allowance effected? Do you lose it altogether? Thankyou
Its good to see my tax money going to good use.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
Its good to see my tax money going to good use.

Our tax money goes to Centrelink/Youth Allowance little, compared to the extra pension Aboriginals get, which is probably where most of our tax money go to

:vcross:

jirwin

HSC
is there anything a 18yr old full time uni student can get from centrelink. last time i checked i wasn't eligible for YA - parents earn just over the amount. parents are pushing me for a job but i havent been successful in any so far so just wondering if im eligible for anything.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
jirwin said:
is there anything a 18yr old full time uni student can get from centrelink. last time i checked i wasn't eligible for YA - parents earn just over the amount. parents are pushing me for a job but i havent been successful in any so far so just wondering if im eligible for anything.

Just lie about your parents income then you'll be eligible for it

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
jirwin said:
i dont think u are eligible for anything
and austudy is for 25yrs and over.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
jirwin said:
you need to claim independence so that they don't count your parents' assets, but yours instead.

Check the sticky thread on how to claim independence:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=141640#4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)