• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

youth allowance question (1 Viewer)

HSC
hi all

just wondering if anyone can tell me as i cant seem to find it on the site, do i need to be a full time student during both semester 2 2008 and semester 1 2009 to be eligible to keep getting youth allowance over the dec-feb break? (am going travelling so will really help)

and is 3 subjects considered f/t for youth allowance purposes instead of the normal 4? as 1 and 2 is p/t

thanks

G

Gavvvvvin

you dont need youth allowance if you can afford to go traveling

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Centrelink doesn't care how many subjects you do. If your uni says you're a full time student, then you are entitled. At my uni, 18 credit points (instead of the normal 24 load) is full time. Anything below is part-time. I'm not sure if this is true to all universities. Check with your institution.

If you have the intention to be a student in semester 1 2009, then you will get youth allowance over the dec-feb period, however I presume you a deferring for a semester or two, so I'm not sure. You need to speak to them: Call 132490 and explain that you're deferring, or if you have any more questions.

Last edited:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
I think they do cut your allowance if you take a holiday, until you tell them you're continuing to semester 2 (after completing semester 1) with proven documents. As long as you're not Aboriginal, I support you leeching (Labor)Government money, even though some of my tax money is used for the system.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Sorry

Quoted directly from Centrelink site

If you are a full-time student you may still continue to receive Youth Allowance for up to 13 weeks if you leave Australia temporarily (for example for a holiday during your semester breaks). You may also continue to receive Youth Allowance if you leave Australia to study at an institution in another country with the study counting towards your Australian course. The length of time you last spend in Australia may affect your payment during your next absence from Australia. All customers must notify Centrelink of plans to travel outside Australia or their Youth Allowance may be stopped.

Full Time Study:
  • attracts an equivalent full-time student load (EFTSL) of 0.375 or more in a teaching period
  • your course is considered full-time by the institution where you are studying
  • you are doing at least 75% of the full time workload OR
  • if none of these apply, you are undertaking at least 15 hours of study per week.
You may also be considered a full-time student if your minimum workload is no less than 66% of the normal full-time workload because of:

• the institution's normal requirements of the course
  • a specific direction in writing from your deputy principal, academic registrar or equivalent officer or
  • a written recommendation from your deputy principal, academic registrar or equivalent officer for academic or vocational reasons.

I'm glad you asked the question, as I will add to the sticky thread on centrelink questions.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=141640

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
me121 said:
If you still live at home (i.e. with your parents) are you still entitled to youth allowance?
Technically, yes.

You will need to satisfy certain criteria which declare you to be Independent from your parents.

You are considered independent if you are aged 16 or over and:
  • have worked to support yourself for at least 18 months, working full-time at least 30 hours a week during the preceding two years (or for a period or periods of 12 months if you are considered disadvantaged), or
  • have worked part-time for at least 15 hours a week for at least two years since last leaving school, or
  • are 25 or more and a full-time student (in special circumstances)
Basically, all of that means that you need to:
  • Be out of school for at least 18 months, and have earnt at least $18,850 over that 18 months period, or
  • Have worked 30 hours per week over the last 12 months to support yourself, or
  • Have worked at least 15 per week (part-time) over the past 2 years since leaving school.
The whole idea of Independent Youth Allowance (non-asset/income tested allowance) is that you are just that, Independent from your parents. In general circumstances, its not available to students still in high school or those who are at uni but havent earnt around $250/week for 18 months in part-time employment.

It would become more relevant if somebody were to finish Year 12, take a gap year for 12 months, and continue to work for the remaining 6 months whilst at uni. Once they have worked for the 18 months and earnt enough, then they would be eligible.

Other than that, there are special circumstances that make it available, but they are restricted to refugee's, people in state care, or those whose parents cant "exercise their responsibilities" etc.

Last edited:

Peartie

HSC
my brother went overseas for a holoiday and his payments got stopped for the duration of his overseas trip....so you can go overseas but you won't get payments during this time......

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Peartie said:
my brother went overseas for a holoiday and his payments got stopped for the duration of his overseas trip....so you can go overseas but you won't get payments during this time......
fuck do you read the thread?

You're wrong, absolutely wrong

Quoted directly from Centrelink site

If you are a full-time student you may still continue to receive Youth Allowance for up to 13 weeks if you leave Australia temporarily (for example for a holiday during your semester breaks). You may also continue to receive Youth Allowance if you leave Australia to study at an institution in another country with the study counting towards your Australian course. The length of time you last spend in Australia may affect your payment during your next absence from Australia. All customers must notify Centrelink of plans to travel outside Australia or their Youth Allowance may be stopped.

Full Time Study:
  • attracts an equivalent full-time student load (EFTSL) of 0.375 or more in a teaching period
  • your course is considered full-time by the institution where you are studying
  • you are doing at least 75% of the full time workload OR
  • if none of these apply, you are undertaking at least 15 hours of study per week.
You may also be considered a full-time student if your minimum workload is no less than 66% of the normal full-time workload because of:

• the institution's normal requirements of the course
  • a specific direction in writing from your deputy principal, academic registrar or equivalent officer or
  • a written recommendation from your deputy principal, academic registrar or equivalent officer for academic or vocational reasons.

I'm glad you asked the question, as I will add to the sticky thread on centrelink questions.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=141640

Peartie

HSC
yes i read the thread

i was just saying from my experience what happens!!!

Centrelink are bullshit artists! They told me id be eligible for centrelink from the money i earnt overseas then when i applied they said no because it wasnt taxed.....

im just warning you.....my bro went overseas for one month and had his payments SUSPENDED FOR ONE MONTH

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Peartie said:
yes i read the thread

i was just saying from my experience what happens!!!

Centrelink are bullshit artists! They told me id be eligible for centrelink from the money i earnt overseas then when i applied they said no because it wasnt taxed.....

im just warning you.....my bro went overseas for one month and had his payments SUSPENDED FOR ONE MONTH
Its not that hard to use common sense and logic here.
I went overseas for a month holidays also. I still received centrelink.

Once you become eligible for it, there are only three real ways in which they can stop payments:

1. If you rought the system and dont report correct earnings, or
2. Earn too much income, or
3. Withdraw from being a full-time student

So by logic, if you go overseas for a holiday, you arent earning an income (either in Aus or overseas). You're still enrolled as a full-time student etc. So it doesn't make any logical sense that they should suspend payments.

If you go overseas on a working visa for more than 13 weeks (as u_i_c stated clearly), then thats a different case.

It didn't happen to me. :)

Last edited:

Peartie

HSC
ok i understand what it says on the website etc

im not trying to argue

im just saying....when my brother went overseas it was suspended.....he says he reported he was going overseas etc.... i dk....it was suspended for the month......thats all i know...im not trying to fight!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)