YR 11 Chemistry & Physics 2022 (1 Viewer)

Lintalint9

HSC
Hi guys,
Struggling in chemistry and Physics already, does anyone have any notes, past papers or even text books/workbooks that will help me! Thank you

Lintalint9

HSC
Also do I really need a tutor for chem and physics for yr 11/yr 12? (I am trying to achieve at least 90 and above.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
You should browse the Notes & Resources section, which contains several good quality sets of notes for Physics and Chemistry:

Regarding whether you need to use a tutoring service for Physics and Chemistry in year 11 and 12, this will depend on your performance in both subjects. Generally speaking, since no results in year 11 count towards your year 12 results or ATAR, you may not need to use a tutoring service, unless you feel that you are not satisfied with your performance in year 11 and feel that this may continue as you commence year 12, in which case a tutor may be able to assist you in consolidating your knowledge, especially as you approach year 12, hopefully leading to superior performance. Of course, several students have achieved favourable results in both subjects without using a tutoring service, meaning that your own need for a tutoring service (or lack thereof) will be determined by the extent to which you understand Physics and Chemistry content, which should evidently be reflected in your results.

I hope this helps! 😄

Lintalint9

HSC
@jimmysmith560

Thank you so much for your prompt reply!
I have another question to ask. I really want to go above and beyond and get an ATAR in the 90s area and possibly aim at some sort of Med degree (it's a little far fetch, but I am hoping to achieve something of that degree and level) for both Chem and Physic and I am not financially stable enough to attend those tutoring classes and I feel so behind because I know a few girls who are taking Physics this year (Yr 11) where they've already completed the prelim course.
So do you possibly know what to look at, what resources (for example: booklets that provide a wide range of questions)?
Like yr 11 practie assessment questions?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
@jimmysmith560

I have another question to ask. I really want to go above and beyond and get an ATAR in the 90s area and possibly aim at some sort of Med degree (it's a little far fetch, but I am hoping to achieve something of that degree and level) for both Chem and Physic and I am not financially stable enough to attend those tutoring classes and I feel so behind because I know a few girls who are taking Physics this year (Yr 11) where they've already completed the prelim course.
So do you possibly know what to look at, what resources (for example: booklets that provide a wide range of questions)?
No worries! I don't believe it would be accurate to say that you are behind, although you can definitely say that your peers are ahead. You are not behind because year 11 is only about to begin. It is important to note that while effective time management is important, it is essential that your knowledge and understanding of Physics and Chemistry content is prioritised over the speed at which you are able to cover the content as this will enable you to perform well in your assessment tasks/exams.

Since I took neither Physics nor Chemistry, I cannot advise on specific content (perhaps someone else who took Physics and/or Chemistry would be able to provide more specific guidance). However, there are undoubtedly several resources that you could benefit from in addition to the sets of notes in the Notes & Resources sections (as outlined in my initial reply). Using booklets containing a wide range of questions should definitely assist you in your studies. Additionally, completing past exam papers from your school (and other schools) will enable you to apply your knowledge to the different types of questions that you will gain exposure to, allowing you to identify and hopefully rectify any weak areas (if applicable).

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
@jimmysmith560

The booklets part of it is not really something you can find as a stand alone thing for free unfortunately since these take a large amount of time to put together, write solutions for and it would need a certain level of individual / group who has a good knowledge of the subject to put together. Due to those factors it is basically only available if you go to a tutoring class (which is where I assume you got the idea about question booklets from) or your school teacher has made some big effort in putting together those materials, since there is a large amount of effort that needs to put in to produce those and so the people will want to gain some monetary benefit out of making them.

In terms of the feeling behind, Year 11 has not started yet. Going ahead of course has it's benefits in learning the content early and so you have more time to familiarise yourself with it but I can guarantee you that unless these students are actively revising the content and doing practice questions consistently because they may forget content or not really understand it properly at a surface level, then this gap will close if you yourself are able to put in the hard work and you have a decent academic ability in the subject.

The most important thing to getting a good mark is putting in the hard work. The tutor may help in terms of decreasing the time you need to spend looking for questions or understanding a concept, but it is down to the student and how much time they are putting in for the subject. There are a lot of free resources on the internet that you can use to get a good understanding of the content as well as practice questions, they might not be as neatly sorted as a tutoring class, however they do the same job.

Use websites like THSConline which has a lot of free past papers on there. These are all you need to practice from along with your textbook and it will have the same quality as preparation as someone going to a tutoring class. The best way to get good marks in the science subjects is the same way you study for maths, where you look at a textbook, the examples, do some questions to try understand the concept and then as your knowledge improves you move into past paper questions from exams. In maths these exam paper questions need to be done throughout the year (not just 2 or 3 weeks before the exam) to have enough time to absorb the content and master it.

The same approach is true for the students that perform highly in the sciences. Start with learning content from the textbook, do the questions in the textbook and then do past paper questions relevant to that topic AT THE TIME you have just completed the textbook questions (there is too much content in chemistry and physics, to be able to do enough questions within the last few weeks before exams and from experience as a tutor, students who follow the approach of doing the school work and then trying to cram papers before an exam, always perform worse than the student who has set aside even 1 hour a week for each subject to dedicate specifically to doing extra practice questions from exams outside of school worksheets / textbooks). At a tutoring class they might be given some booklet with exam questions on that area but you can do the same thing yourself. Open up a few past papers on THSConline or wherever you can find them and scroll through them looking for questions relevant to the content you just learnt, complete these, mark them using the rubric or ask your teacher to have a look if there isn't an answer and then if you don't quite understand the concept fully or feel confident in it talk to your teacher or friends who might know it well for help, then do some more practice questions by looking through more past papers and eventually you will become good at that topic. If you do that consistently throughout the year you should be able to get a good mark.

Touching on your point of wanting to go above and beyond. Be prepared to put in the hours in terms of studying to achieve this. Regardless of the study technique used, the time spent studying and doing questions is more important. If you are aiming for a 90+ mark in chemistry and physics I would say during Year 11 you should be spending around 2 hours each week or more focused on doing exam questions for the topic (this is aside from the worksheets / homework you get from school) and during Year 12 you will have to maintain a similar level of dedication.

Last edited:

Lintalint9

HSC
@jazz519 @jimmysmith560

Thank you so much for all the assistance and responses, I will start up some sort of schedule soon!!
What are the recommended textbooks used for year 11 Chem and Phys
And what are the recommended textbooks you'd refer to for year 12 chem and phys

Last questions! Again thank you so much.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
@jazz519 @jimmysmith560

Thank you so much for all the assistance and responses, I will start up some sort of schedule soon!!
What are the recommended textbooks used for year 11 Chem and Phys
And what are the recommended textbooks you'd refer to for year 12 chem and phys

Last questions! Again thank you so much.
The most common ones people use are Pearson chemistry and chemistry in focus. Same thing for year 12

Your school usually will tell you to buy one of the books so I would wait for that information

Lintalint9

HSC
Jesus. Just looking and my friend does tutoring for $440 a week. And that's only 2 hours of advanced maths, 2 hours of Extension1 maths and 2 hours of physics and that's not exactly budget friendly.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Jesus. Just looking and my friend does tutoring for $440 a week. And that's only 2 hours of advanced maths, 2 hours of Extension1 maths and 2 hours of physics and that's not exactly budget friendly.
If the parents can afford it and the student is making best use out of it then I guess you can see it as an investment for the future. However, tutoring doesn't need to be that expensive. I assume this friend of yours is going to some tutoring centre or expensive private tutoring since $440 for 8 hours is more than 50 an hour and not the usual price people would spend unless there is some big reputation behind the centre / tutor.

There are plenty of tutoring places / tutors that are more affordable than that which are in the range of 25-40 dollars per hour. Also, can reduce some of the costs for tutoring by only going for subjects you actually need help in vs going for all subjects which is the approach your friend is taking, as well as reducing the lesson time to maybe 1.5 hours or 1 hour instead if you are clear on what you want to get out of the tutoring and so can use the time effectively.

Lintalint9

HSC
Welp, I need a budget friendly option. So if anyone have any good recommendations for Physics please hit me up

:blink2:
(I am not the smartest, so preferably a tutor who doesn't assume I know stuff off the bat)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
@Lintalint9 I suggest having a look at the Tutoring Classifieds forum, containing several tutoring options for Physics. You may find that someone's tutoring service is suitable for you regarding the aspects raised in this thread that are relevant to you:

DheerChoudhury

HSC
I strongly recommend YouTube as a way of consolidating your knowledge. There are plenty of channels out there that basically lay out the syllabus for you in pretty much most subjects (or at least for the ones I did aha). One that I found moderately alright for consolidation was "High School Physics". When put at 1.75x speed this dude spits fax. Also, Edrolo came in clutch...Does your school have access to a subscription? If not, I'd probably nag them to give it a try because it's unparalleled.
Good luck!

qwertywerido

HSC
Hi guys,
Struggling in chemistry and Physics already, does anyone have any notes, past papers or even text books/workbooks that will help me! Thank you
Oooo, if you want free resources you could also check with your library, I managed to get the full ATAR notes Edunlimited and a studiosity account to use. Both of which have been very useful.

username_2

HSC
Oooo, if you want free resources you could also check with your library, I managed to get the full ATAR notes Edu limited and a studiosity account to use. Both of which have been very useful.
Hi guys,
Yes libraries are your best friends here. Some other recommendations for getting resources are past papers on the nsw website, ace hsc, thsc and atar notes (as you have said). Finishing all of these along with the textbooks will be more than enough for anyone, especially once the school work starts coming in.

Btw, if you live near central or lidcombe I do tutoring for physics for $30 an hour. You can dm in private if you want.

Lintalint9

HSC
Also, this isn't related to any science, but I just can't get my head around this question:
1643241136312.png
1643241144278.png
I got stuck on this part as I don't understand what they mean as to the degree 7:
1643241263719.png
I know you are also meant to sub (0,9) into the equation to find out a, but I don't get the degrees, like how do you know that a particular part has degree 2, or 3 or 1 etc etc. If anyone can help thank you!!

yanujw

HSC
Also, this isn't related to any science, but I just can't get my head around this question:
View attachment 34797
View attachment 34798
I got stuck on this part as I don't understand what they mean as to the degree 7:
View attachment 34799
I know you are also meant to sub (0,9) into the equation to find out a, but I don't get the degrees, like how do you know that a particular part has degree 2, or 3 or 1 etc etc. If anyone can help thank you!!
The 'degree' of a factor is called its' multiplicity
A root of multiplicity one just passes through the x-intercept
A root of multiplicity 2 has a tangent to the x-axis at that point, for example x=-1 and x=3 on your graph
A root of multiplicity 3 has a point of inflection to the x-axis at that point, for example x=1 on your graph
When a factor has a certain multiplicity, the factor in its' bracket is raised to that power.
So your equation would be
And then yes, use (0,9) to find the leading coefficient A.

Lintalint9

HSC
The 'degree' of a factor is called its' multiplicity
A root of multiplicity one just passes through the x-intercept
A root of multiplicity 2 has a tangent to the x-axis at that point, for example x=-1 and x=3 on your graph
A root of multiplicity 3 has a point of inflection to the x-axis at that point, for example x=1 on your graph
When a factor has a certain multiplicity, the factor in its' bracket is raised to that power.
So your equation would be

And then yes, use (0,9) to find the leading coefficient A.
Thanks so much !!! 🙏

Lintalint9

HSC
hi, would you say for this question that the change in displacement is 600 km W?
1649927971794.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)