Yr 11 Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

idkkdi

HSC
Haha I made that same mistake of mixing the two up!

Just curious quickoats, are you also studying in the health field? You're extremely insightful with respect to those degrees so I'm just wondering lol
Actuarial the last time I checked.

quickoats

HSC
Haha I made that same mistake of mixing the two up!

Just curious quickoats, are you also studying in the health field? You're extremely insightful with respect to those degrees so I'm just wondering lol
sadly not. Tbh I had no idea what I wanted to do so I literally researched every single option available. I was put off by my lack of science in the HSC but there are definitely bridging courses and extra assistance (PASS sessions) to help you get through the 1st year which might be a big learning curve.

Ended up enrolling in actl as I got a scholarship but I'm still trying to figure things out in terms of transferring unis/choosing a career - business/finance kinda scares me and lowkey feels unethical. Btw there's nothing wrong with this - lots of people end up degree hopping which does take a bit more time, but hey, you have 80+ years of life, doing 1-2 extra years at uni definitely does not hurt.

• Love
Reactions: c8

isaezra

HSC
I really appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice :) . Unfortunately, my school doesn't offer science extension, so taking it in year 12 isn't an option. Right now, I'm leaning towards physics, but ultimately I'm still afraid that if I regret my decision (either with physics or bio), I won't have the opportunity to drop it later on and take up an extra unit to make 11 units in year 12. In this situation, what would you suggest I choose?
If you're interested in sci ext, it is very easy for schools to run with only one student, it's worth pestering the science faculty if you think you'd actually want to do it. Otherwise though;

14 units is a lot, especially since you'll have the option of picking up extensions if you need units next year, but if you're anxious about making the wrong decision, and if you're willing to deal with the extra work load for a little while than it might be the best option.

If I were you, I'd start with all of these, and drop units before your first round of assessment tasks.
- 3u maths
- chem
- 3u english
- physics
- PDHPE
- modern

Bio is missing because you don't sound too keen on it, you'll do fine in PE without it, and unis will never require year 12 bio. They may suggest it, but you can just do a bridging course. What you will need for med-related courses though is chem, which is hard to do in a few weeks before uni. On top of that, if you decide you want to go into STEM instead you'll need 3u math and maybe physics, which are also unrealistic to bridge.

You sound passionate about PE and modern, so you'll enjoy and do well at them. On top of that PE does cover some bio anyway, so you'll get a taste before you have to decide. Doing bio, chem, physics and 3u math is way too much STEM imo ahaha, having PE and modern will help your english and also help you keep some humanity lol which is important for someone in the medical field.

In year 12, if you'll be able to drop another 2 units if you need to, or even 3 if you pick up an extension. This way, you get to try as many classes as possible while still keeping your options open while you figure out what course you want to go into.

Year 11 is a good time to do this sort of thing since your results don't really matter (unless you want to try for ANU early entry, in which case lmk and I can help you with that lol)

jojosiwa123

HSC
chemistry is a prerequisite for some of the medicine courses in aus (Not ALL). not sure if you want to do medicine specifically in which case you don't actually need to like chemistry. its only a minor component in medicine, the main focus is biology.
for other medical degrees like pharmacy you would need a knowledge of chem as others have said, I'm sure you could do a bridging course though if you don't want to take chem.
by your subject choices I'm assuming you like humanities more than sciences? in which case to maximise your atar if you do prefer humanities (especially if you're good at english and modern), it would be good to choose ext 1 english, later you could do history extension if your school offers it. The work load for both of those isn't toooo bad for me personally but time management is a big deal, quite a few people end up dropping those extension subjects.
either way, I'm seeing that you're getting a lot of mixed advice which I'm obviously adding to lol but remember to take the advice on BOS with a grain of salt- I'm sure you know what works best for you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)