• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Yr 11 subjects (1 Viewer)

nottellingu

HSC
Suddenly i am having second thoughts about the subjects ive picked which are 3 maths Adv english Physics Legal studies Biology and SLR. What do u think about the workload and the potential for a good mark with these subjects?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Any HSC subject will carry a high workload it just depends how you manage your time and the difficulty level you have in the subject. As with any subject of course the potential is whatever you make it. Effectively any subject combination can get you a 'good mark'.

Why are you having second thought? You clearly choose these subjects for a certain career path and to meet university requirements so what has changed?

If you are worried schools will usually let students change their subjects within the first few weeks of year 11.

nottellingu

HSC
Well I am planning to pick up ext 2 math in yr 12 and ppl hav been getting in my ear and telling me dat doing both legal studies and biology is too much memorising especially when planning to do ext 2 math. also the beleif is that the general patterns of scaling for the two subjects(legal and bio) is low anyway.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
nottellingu said:
Well I am planning to pick up ext 2 math in yr 12 and ppl hav been getting in my ear and telling me dat doing both legal studies and biology is too much memorising especially when planning to do ext 2 math.
If you work hard and put in the effort, it'd be easy for you

nottellingu said:
also the beleif is that the general patterns of scaling for the two subjects(legal and bio) is low anyway.
Scaling shouldnt be an issue, and no matter how high or low it is, it shouldnt determine what subjects you would do. As long as you get good marks, and good ranks, then the scaling process would take it's place

PrettyVacant

HSC
Nah, don't worry about it. I had second thoughts about choosing Biology and Chemistry and Physics...thought there might be too much Science there. But I only thought about it for a second, because well, I love Science. If Science was a person, I'd be sexing it and marrying it right now.

But don't let people tell you something will be too much for you or that it'll be difficult to do something. Just put in as much effort as possible and you'll do fine. If you're in the mindset that something is difficult, then it always is.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Please don't take scaling into account when choosing subjects. Any subject can work for you, you just have to make it work. Besides it better to do a lower scaling subject that you enjoy and score high then a higher scaling subject your not so good at and score low then scaling will hurt you in a bad way.

People lie, you choose those subjects for a reason. No subject is a walk in the park and every subject you will have to remember things. Give them a chance before you drop them.

BOS <3 for PrettyVacant and Lottox, you two seem to follow eachother but who is the follower and who is the followed?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
LottoX said:
Scaling is part of the HSC game. Play it well.
It is and it isn't. It is in the long run but you shouldn't be basing all your decisions based on scaling.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
Scaling is part of the HSC game. Play it well.
ditto!

everyone says dont take scaling into account...

yeah dont let it be an overriding factor
but do take it into account.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Jachie said:
Tamara, we'll be anal(lysational!) together. Fuck science. Go English and humanities!
Haha no way. Science > English + Humanities ;)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
As a protege of LottoX, his knowledge has helped me alot :rofl:

Anyways, on year 11 subjects, has anyone based their selections on only one area? (science, maths, english + humanities, design +technology etc?)

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
Jachie said:
My subjects are all English + Humanities. Snaps for Jachie!
-snaps-

Anyway, does anybody think it's a stretch to do both histories, and history extension? My friends think it's going to be too much work.

lacklustre

HSC
Kujah said:
Anyways, on year 11 subjects, has anyone based their selections on only one area? (science, maths, english + humanities, design +technology etc?)
I tried to select subjects that are comprehensive and give me the greatest number of options to choose from. A bit from each area :wave:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Not really a stretch but you better love history and be good at essay writting otherwise it will be a stretch.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Would doing Extension subjects from Maths, English and History be just too much in your HSC year?

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Kujah said:
Would doing Extension subjects from Maths, English and History be just too much in your HSC year?
I think alot of poeple in my school do those 3 for their HSC, and they seem to get by fine. Time managment really.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Kujah said:
It depend on how many extension subjects you are planning on doing. Usually extension subjects are held 'offline' usually when school finishes early or before school so you have to be ready to spend more hours at school and probably be a little more dedicated to your subject.

But again with all things it is very do able with time management. A large number of HSC do some kind of extension subject so it isn't uncommon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)