• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Yr11 Study Plan (2 Viewers)

adriano_negr0

HSC
Okay so basically I was just thinking about my subjects. I know how I am going to handle maths eg. lots of questions, but for physics I am going to make relevant syllabus notes like I have for business and then find questions. Although the only problem is I'm not aware of any resources I could use next year to test myself of the knowledge I will gain. Are certain textbooks good for questions? Are their special workbooks? thanks

Also for english how are u guys going to handle that, I have no ideas

occer

HSC
N/A
If you care that much about studying, at this stage in the holidays, you should up your ATAR aim but about 10 points minimum.

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
hey, good on you for being so dedicated =)
regarding your study plan, you should definitely follow the syllabus for physics but focus on understanding rather than rote learning, as compared to business studies (I do economics btw) . This should be done by using various resources. Also remember to include pracs in notes. =)

To learn your notes, you could practise questions by using workbooks such as dotpoint sciences or just any past papers you can get your hands on. However, everyone has different learning styles, such as using acronyms and visuals or recording notes.

Also, it is important to study the dotpoints in a holistic manner through making connections. Diagrams are also important for sciences, which you can use to integrate into your responses.

overall, just use the dotpoint workbooks and past papers to practise answering the questions and make sure you nail down all the relevant bos verbs.

For english, it is very important to practise writing responses to essay questions. Wide reading also helps you to develop a unique thesis as well as improve understanding of texts. You should keep writing until your essay gets the top marks

xMaFF

HSC
hey, good on you for being so dedicated =)
regarding your study plan, you should definitely follow the syllabus for physics but focus on understanding rather than rote learning, as compared to business studies (I do economics btw) . This should be done by using various resources. Also remember to include pracs in notes. =)
+1 for all the advice.

Umm, can somebody please explain to me what "rote learning" is?

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
+1 for all the advice.

Umm, can somebody please explain to me what "rote learning" is?
Lol I too am confused about that term.

I agree with the previous post about upping your ATAR aim if you are studying in the holidays. It will keep you motivated to try harder and go the extra mile but remember not to burn out.

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Rote learning is just completely remembering something, like remembering a whole essay to be spewed out of your mind for an assessment.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Rote learning is just completely remembering something, like a whole essay for an assessment.
Ohh! I strongly do not recommend rote learning. I remember in history in year 10, I began remembering essays and it took me ages to remember. It was also difficult when I had to alter my essay to suit the question.

JUST REMEMBER POINTS! It's very quick to remember and is easy to apply to any situation.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Make a list of things you want to get finished in priority. Estimate how long you think it'd take to get finished and incorporate them into your study plan :)

Remember to include lots of breaks in your study, for every 30min, 45min or 60mins. There are lots of studies showing that you learn best in short bursts rather than lengthy session ^^

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Make a list of things you want to get finished in priority. Estimate how long you think it'd take to get finished and incorporate them into your study plan :)

Remember to include lots of breaks in your study, for every 30min, 45min or 60mins. There are lots of studies showing that you learn best in short bursts rather than lengthy session ^^

That's what I'm going to do. I'm going to make a list, set out short term acheivable goals, I'm not going to make a timetable because I always end up finishing early or going late. I'm going to study in probably 50 minute intervals with 10 minutes break. :D I used that technique this year and it was quite effective, I hardly felt tired after several hours.

adriano_negr0

HSC
well I only need 72 for science at uni or 95 for advanced science lol
but ultimately i want to get 80s and hopefully just work a decent amount. not much at all
and lol there is no chance of me studying these holidays, its a waste of time
but yer i will use dotpoint thanks guys

mioumiou

HSC
For the science subjects, try to read some notes from the resources sections from this website. I'm not doing Physics but I'm doing Chemistry and biology. I found that effective though. Just having some ideas of what you're gonna learn next year and then you can buy books like Excel series only for reference purpose. Dot Point books are quite good, but I think you might need some informations / knowledge before hand.

I hope it helps! =)

Have a good holiday everyone!! And good luck with your Year 11 study plans!

Name_Taken

HSC
For the science subjects, try to read some notes from the resources sections from this website. I'm not doing Physics but I'm doing Chemistry and biology. I found that effective though. Just having some ideas of what you're gonna learn next year and then you can buy books like Excel series only for reference purpose. Dot Point books are quite good, but I think you might need some informations / knowledge before hand.

I hope it helps! =)

Have a good holiday everyone!! And good luck with your Year 11 study plans!
I know its a bit off topic, but I find Excel books to be horrible for every subject except for maths and I'd recommend against them.

Chemistry I'd recommend either Conquering Chemistry (1st choice) or Chemistry Contexts. For Biology, I like Heinemann, its one of the prettiest textbooks I've ever seen (lol) and it's just really nice reference to have.

Happy holidays everybody and good luck with your study plans next year :)

SImon05089

HSC
I know its a bit off topic, but I find Excel books to be horrible for every subject except for maths and I'd recommend against them.

Chemistry I'd recommend either Conquering Chemistry (1st choice) or Chemistry Contexts. For Biology, I like Heinemann, its one of the prettiest textbooks I've ever seen (lol) and it's just really nice reference to have.

Happy holidays everybody and good luck with your study plans next year :)
really? is the excel series that crap? it cant even be used for a reference sort of? meh, i feel so down now, cus i bought alot of excel books, just for reference, i thought its pretty good cause its like a summary of the whole year and that, god...i might as well sell them!

thanks anyway,

hope everyone the best with studies!! get a good study plan, but for me i dont really like study plans, i just study, and when i want a break, i get one =) thought my parents want me to have a timetable, but i dont wanna, its like the timetable takes my freedom away :cry:

but anyways, good luck everyone !! '11ers (copied of ya, ipodnano!)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
really? is the excel series that crap? it cant even be used for a reference sort of? meh, i feel so down now, cus i bought alot of excel books, just for reference, i thought its pretty good cause its like a summary of the whole year and that, god...i might as well sell them!

thanks anyway,

hope everyone the best with studies!! get a good study plan, but for me i dont really like study plans, i just study, and when i want a break, i get one =) thought my parents want me to have a timetable, but i dont wanna, its like the timetable takes my freedom away :cry:

but anyways, good luck everyone !! '11ers (copied of ya, ipodnano!)

LOL :)

Well I heard excel is really brief and there is not enough information. It is good for revision though and to remember concise points quickly. The bookshops around my area only sell Excel. I'm finding it very difficult to find Preliminary 3u that isn't excel.

SImon05089

HSC
LOL :)

Well I heard excel is really brief and there is not enough information. It is good for revision though and to remember concise points quickly. The bookshops around my area only sell Excel. I'm finding it very difficult to find Preliminary 3u that isn't excel.
really? yay! im keeping them, i just needed it for that very reason! the detailed information can be taken from the textbook the school wants me to buy, so yep, im not selling them anymore!!

thank you ipodnano! :haha:

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
really? yay! im keeping them, i just needed it for that very reason! the detailed information can be taken from the textbook the school wants me to buy, so yep, im not selling them anymore!!

thank you ipodnano! :haha:

:D I could be wrong, we need an ex hsc to back me up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)