yr12 to uni ??? (1 Viewer)

amybaker1990

HSC
hey well im in year 12 and atm am looking at my options for nxt year and i am really keen to go to newcastle uni and do a combined degree in law and arts.
does anyone do this?
if any one could give me some insight on how many hours a week you have to attend uni for lectures tutorials wateva.. it would be great.. just so i get an idea of what i am looking at for next year if i can get in..
thanks

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Amy, can't really give you too much of an insight through the forum.

I suggest coming to the Bus/Law Faculty Open Day when the uni has it, as current students are there ready to answer any questions you want to throw at them.

Don't mean to brush you off, but thats really the best insight you can get. I know the guys involved are great with answering questions, and they'll tell you how you need to approach uni differently to high school.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
I know at least one person who does this and she enjoys it.......
Haha

Pretty sure with arts you can do 'whatever' and law..so my mate does law and geography subjects. I think sometimes the law side of it can be a bit rough, and there's the 24hr exams and the moots and shit, and tonnes of reading, but she loves the geog subjects. Yeh that totally doesn't help :)

amybaker1990

HSC
thanks peeps.
just curious as to how many hours a week i would be spending at uni formally.
(thats if i get in)
i just want to know if i will be able to have a part time job and if it would be viable for me to maybe move closer to uni( not on campus) to make commuting alot easier...
thank you

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Really couldn't tell you the amount of hours my mate does, but she never seems too flustered and she also has a part-time job. Pretty sure you'd be able to do the same, though I suppose it would help if you had good time-management skills. The only thing is that exam time might be a tad more stressful but still pretty meh :)

Edit: Just read about the moving out part. Where do you live at the moment? If you're in Newie I wouldn't bother moving out if you're already living with your parents - there's no real need to move super close to the uni or anything (unless you don't have a car and you're a public transport snob :rolleyes:). If you live in Syd or whatever and you're moving up/down to here, then um..yeh have fun working a shitload trying to support yourself I guess :S Uni should still be fine (though again, time-management skills even more necessary lol).

Last edited:

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Live at home and get on the kevin money so you dont have to work. It kicks ass, I'm seriously saving money.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
jumb said:
Live at home and get on the kevin money so you dont have to work. It kicks ass, I'm seriously saving money.
How inspirational, lol.
If she's doing law she'll prolly wanna have a job at some point. You know, relevant work experience? :p
Edit: Also, you still live at home.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
haha yeah, stuff work experience, I'm in a degree known for being full of lazy, alcoholics.

Charizard

HSC
jumb said:
haha yeah, stuff work experience, I'm in a degree known for being full of lazy, alcoholics.
If you live at home how are you getting government hand outs ?

crack parents ?

blue_chameleon

HSC
Charizard said:

crack parents ?
Quality post right there.

Now, get out.

blue_chameleon

HSC
amybaker1990 said:
thanks peeps.
just curious as to how many hours a week i would be spending at uni formally.
(thats if i get in)
i just want to know if i will be able to have a part time job and if it would be viable for me to maybe move closer to uni( not on campus) to make commuting alot easier...
thank you
Amy, it really all comes down to how driven you are.

I'm working 4 days a week + 3 third year courses. In my first year, I was commuting for 4 hours a day on the train from the Central Coast, for 4 days a week, plus weekend work. It's a challenge, but of course it's achieveable.

Even though I did it for the first semester, I certainly wouldn't recommend travelling for as long as I did. If you're looking to move to Newcastle, PLAN EARLY (start around December), because places to rent fill up real quick.

Like said previously, 10 hours per course is the recommended. But I know guys that come to 1/3 of the lectures and 1/4 of the tutes, and still manage to pull HD's. This is definately not the rule of thumb though.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Charizard said:

crack parents ?
Nope, I'm an independent.

blue_chameleon

HSC
3unitz said:
hey guyssss, do marks get posted on blackboard or do they email you them or what
No boss, they get posted to MyHub through Online Services.

Don't know when.

amybaker1990

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Amy, it really all comes down to how driven you are.

I'm working 4 days a week + 3 third year courses. In my first year, I was commuting for 4 hours a day on the train from the Central Coast, for 4 days a week, plus weekend work. It's a challenge, but of course it's achieveable.

Even though I did it for the first semester, I certainly wouldn't recommend travelling for as long as I did. If you're looking to move to Newcastle, PLAN EARLY (start around December), because places to rent fill up real quick.

Like said previously, 10 hours per course is the recommended. But I know guys that come to 1/3 of the lectures and 1/4 of the tutes, and still manage to pull HD's. This is definately not the rule of thumb though.

yeah i live on the central coast and i am not prepared to drive to uni from here i know its not that far away but i would rather be closer for convenience plus i live in a hole. seriously. the public transport system is terrible. it takes 3 buses to get to wyee train station when it is only 15mins away.

and ideally i would love to get work in the legal industry in the newcastle area to further aid my studies aswell as make contacts etc. so that furthers my need to move closer to uni. but any job will do.

thankyou so much for the advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)